Inconsistency with FAS-DPD test

Jul 18, 2015
Zeeland MI
Has anyone every tested the same sample of water multiple times and gotten very sporadic results?
I just did the test on the same sample of water 30 minutes apart and my first test was 20 drops and the second was 25. I am a pretty good about rinsing the tube, precise fill levels and wiping the dropper tip before starting drops. I also use the auto stir. My understanding is that the amount of powder used is not really that critical. I usually just do 1 heaping scoop.
inhave had this inconsistency a couple times now. It usually results with the later test reading a higher FC level. Is there something happening with the water sample when it sits in the sample bottle for 30 minutes?

Occasionally, I'll do the FC test and get results lower than what I expected based on knowing how much FC my pool consumes each day. 1 to 2ppm low. I'll retest and get a higher result which is in line with my every day testing. I chalk it up to not using quite enough powder when that happens. It doesn't happen often but it does happen and I just get that hunch that it's wrong because my fc loss is very predictable.

Edited to add: when I've retested, it's a fresh sample from the pool and less than 5 minutes apart.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.