Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
So I dropped a sample off at my builder, because he wanted to test my water. His test is saying I need 244lbs of salt added to my pool, my test using k-1766 (new reagents) shows I need to get rid of some. Last test showed 5000ppm. Is it possible the test isn’t working right and something in my water is affecting my results?

he also wants to add calcium up, alkalinity up, and 3 bottles of iron out. My water is perfectly clear right now.

my last tests using new reagents showed TA at 60 CH at 150 FC 3.5 CYA was at 45, but I added 7lbs the other day. This morning FC was at 2, salt cell needs to be cleaned so it’s not working right now. My wife is adding a gallon of shock this morning to raise FC up a bit.

turned heater on other day so water is now 80*

im not home right now so will be running the tests tomorrow morning, again. I just got all new reagents, so I know those are good. And using the tests last year I had absolutely clear water.

7772535C-D38A-4CCE-A86C-23D82B60D414.jpeg
it’s so clear you can even see the sand at the bottom. Robot made short work of it though.

Have you shared your test methods and results with him?

How did he test the water and what are his results? I bet your test methods are more reliable than his.

What is his explanation for wanting to increase TA and CH? CH is pretty much a non-issue in vinyl pools and your TA is within range. Is your pH stable?

Did his test show iron or you experiencing staining?

Did you add enough salt to reach a level of 5,000 ppm? That is a somewhat elevated level. Is this level within the range of your SWG recommended levels?

Are you getting a high salt warning or do you believe the high salt level is effecting your SWG's operation?

Have you shared your test methods and results with him?

How did he test the water and what are his results? I bet your test methods are more reliable than his.

What is his explanation for wanting to increase TA and CH? CH is pretty much a non-issue in vinyl pools and your TA is within range. Is your pH stable?

Did his test show iron or you experiencing staining?

Did you add enough salt to reach a level of 5,000 ppm? That is a somewhat elevated level. Is this level within the range of your SWG recommended levels?

Are you getting a high salt warning or do you believe the high salt level is effecting your SWG's operation?
Not sure how he tests. No explanation for why he wants to add stuff. The sample was dropped off on Sunday at 1145, wasn’t tested until monday at whenever. Sat in a plastic bottle inside a plastic tub.

no stains. His test showed “metals”

ph is stable now that TA is where it is.

Haven’t added any salt. That’s what it’s been testing at since I opened it. Not even close to recommended level. 2700-3600ppm

salt cell needs to be cleaned (Inspect cell light on) and is showing 1900ppm.

C,

I assume your pool builder is going to charge you for the chemicals he wants to add... :mrgreen:

I suspect that you are doing something wrong with your K-1766 test.. Are you using the Speed-Stir? Not using a speed stir makes the test harder and not a repeatable.. I don't trust pool builders tests, but it does not make sense that the two of you are so far apart on the salt test.

You stop counting as soon as the sample turns to a salmon color.. it is a pretty instant change and you don't keep counting after the initial change. It might "flash" to salmon and then go back to milky, but once it changes to salmon and stays there, you are done.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Not sure how he tests. No explanation for why he wants to add stuff. The sample was dropped off on Sunday at 1145, wasn’t tested until monday at whenever. Sat in a plastic bottle inside a plastic tub.

no stains. His test showed “metals”

ph is stable now that TA is where it is.

What is the PB's interest in your water condition? Warranty? I think you should have a discussion with him regarding the inconsistencies with the test results and his testing methods. You can't test for metals yourself, so you may be kinda stuck there. Leslie's will test for copper and iron if you want a second opinion. That aside, I wouldn't allow anyone to put anything in my pool until I learned about the product and ran it by TFP. Ultimately, it's your pool and it looks like you've been doing a good job of keeping it balanced and clean.

Good luck!

C,

I assume your pool builder is going to charge you for the chemicals he wants to add... :mrgreen:

I suspect that you are doing something wrong with your K-1766 test.. Are you using the Speed-Stir? Not using a speed stir makes the test harder and not a repeatable.. I don't trust pool builders tests, but it does not make sense that the two of you are so far apart on the salt test.

You stop counting as soon as the sample turns to a salmon color.. it is a pretty instant change and you don't keep counting after the initial change. It might "flash" to salmon and then go back to milky, but once it changes to salmon and stays there, you are done.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes using speed stir, and color changes and stays at 25 drops.

What is the PB's interest in your water condition? Warranty? I think you should have a discussion with him regarding the inconsistencies with the test results and his testing methods. You can't test for metals yourself, so you may be kinda stuck there. Leslie's will test for copper and iron if you want a second opinion. That aside, I wouldn't allow anyone to put anything in my pool until I learned about the product and ran it by TFP. Ultimately, it's your pool and it looks like you've been doing a good job of keeping it balanced and clean.

Good luck!
i had him open the pool this year, since it’s the first time and I wanted to be shown how everything is supposed to work. he’s been a PITA to work with. Seems to be extremely busy, but cries poor. will be opening pool myself next year.

I told him not to add anything, and I would do it if it needs it. I still have chemicals left over from last year that he wanted me to add.

I told him not to add anything, and I would do it if it needs it.
That's a great idea. Take a sample to Leslie's if you have one near you and get a full round of tests. Ignore everything except metals. If you show iron or copper, report back and get advice here. Write up some notes on the opening process and hopefully you'll be able to take it over next year.

I told him not to add anything, and I would do it if it needs it.
It really just comes down to who is in charge of your pool. If you are paying him to do it, let him do the testing but hold him responsible for any water issues. If he is not willing to guarantee crystal clear water all year long or you are not willing to pay him... then you should do your own testing and politely disregard his advise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wouldn't let the builder TOUCH your pool. Trust your own test results.....the chances are overwhelming HIS test results are faulty, not yours.

You need some tweaking but you are in good shape. Take one parameter at a time, please don't try to do it all at once.

Post up tomorrows test results and plan on adjusting your FC first. Adjust to keep it in the range suggested according to this chart.

Depending on your CYA results today, you will want to keep FC in that range. You overlooked pH.....post it tomorrow along with the other results.

Remember if you are not running your SWG, then you need to follow the Non-SWG FC/CYA Levels, so you need to raise your FC for now .
You can add the salt, just add a little short and retest so you dont go over.
Just added 6 bags (Half of what pool math recommended), will check swg in a few minutes to make sure it kicks on.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.