In need of replastering advice

Wow, that's really expensive for use of the existing plaster surface. You are quite right that a roughened surface works better as it allows the epoxy coat layer to adhere well. Then all they need to do is apply the AB thermopolymer and make it smooth and seamless....that's the hard part, making it look good since dimples and bumps in the surface will be accentuated.

Still, $16k for AquaBright on old plaster seems a little unreasonable to me....

I agree completely. If the stuff is truly that expensive, it's going to be difficult for it to catch on. I think it needs to be competitively priced with high-end plaster. At least in my area with this particular installer, it's not.

You may want to talk to bdavis because he does AB and his quotes don't seem anywhere that high. He can provide so more context around this issues and he is extremely knowledgeable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The manufacturer's recommended pricing is $9 PSF (about $85/perimeter foot) and they say that is comparable to what plaster are in some areas. That may be true but it is very far from the case in the southwest. I am currently plastering and coating with AquaBright for less than that to make it even remotely competitive. Unfortunately I don't see the manufacturer lowering the price of materials so that is something that isn't going to change.

You cannot compare an AquaBright finish to a plaster finish even though they are intended to do the same thing. A Ford Festiva can get you to the grocery store but a Corvette would be a whole lot nicer... Both do the same task but have very different price ranges.

The AquaBright installation is very labor intensive and tedious. I can plaster a pool and be cleaned up and on the road in 3 hours. This time of year we are doing 3 pools a day. AquaBright takes 14-18 hours to install and is not a pleasant process.

The bottom line: the materials are expensive, the consumables are expensive, the installation equipment is insanely expensive and the labor to install is expensive since it takes so long. But with that said I don't see any other finish currently available lasting as long and looking the same as the day it was installed.

I've talked to BDavis. He has been super informative.

This installer told me that he would need double the labor for a plaster job, to chip out, haul off, prepare, mix, transport, apply, etc. than to do an AquaBright job. He was adamant that the AquaBright requires LESS time overall than plaster. I'm going to reach out to a couple of other installers in the region to see what they charge and then circle back to the guy in my area and see if he wants the business. Based on bdavis' numbers above, my pool is 130 LF, which comes out to $11100 or 1600 sq feet, which comes out to $14400. He quoted $16500. That's the rub on this for me.

I just need to get him to $12000 :)

What you are describing as brown scale, is likely the plaster white "creme" is gone and the remaining brown sand in the plaster is what you are seeing
I have the same issue in my pool.

Attachments

• spa IMG_5071.jpg
    spa IMG_5071.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 89

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.