e49418

Aug 5, 2019
Grand Rapids, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi - has anyone installed an in-line sight glass? I have a new filter and there is no sight glass on the valve.
I'm looking at the Hayward options (like Hayward 2 in. Socket Pool In-Line Sight Glass SP1074S - The Home Depot) , but it's not clear to me if the ID of the sight glass is the OD of the pipe, or if some other kind of connector is needed?

Thanks!

Hi - has anyone installed an in-line sight glass? I have a new filter and there is no sight glass on the valve.
I'm looking at the Hayward options (like Hayward 2 in. Socket Pool In-Line Sight Glass SP1074S - The Home Depot) , but it's not clear to me if the ID of the sight glass is the OD of the pipe, or if some other kind of connector is needed?

Thanks!
Do you have a D.E. filter with a separation tank? That's where those were used. The size is the pipe that will glue into the socket.

Reactions: proavia
Why do you think you need an in-line sight glass?
What purpose will it serve?
I replaced very old DE filter last year with a sand filter and there's no sight glass on the valve. I was used to watching that to see when water ran clear.

If this is not the best option for that, are there any suggestions other than replacing the valve?

Do you have a D.E. filter with a separation tank? That's where those were used. The size is the pipe that will glue into the socket.
Sand filter. I have a fixed waste pipe that runs to the back of my hard. I was thinking I could put it line to see when backwash runs clear as there's no sight glass on the filter.

I replaced very old DE filter last year with a sand filter and there's no sight glass on the valve. I was used to watching that to see when water ran clear.

If this is not the best option for that, are there any suggestions other than replacing the valve?
Is the backwash valve a push/pull type or a multiport?
A 1.5" or 2" sight glass assembly will cost $25 to $50.

Consider a FlowVis flow meter. Clear, see the water and get the flow rate.
Maybe not be a good option cost wise for a backwash line.

Multiport.
Are you referring to something similar to the Hayward in-line sight glass above, or are there other options?
I just Googled "inline sight glass" and both 1.5 inch and 2 inch ... some of those may work as well.

What filter and multiport valve?
My old Hayward sand filter multiport had the sight glass built into it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.