In-Line Chlorinator Alternative and Pump Runtime

Familyswink

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
I inherited a 3,000 gallon pool when I bought a new house. I have already had to refill the pool due to high CYA. I travel a lot so I will not be able to test/add liquid chlorine daily. I also have an in-floor cleaner with a 2.5hp pump.

1. I would like to move away from the in-line tab chlorinator (CYA). Is my best option to convert the pool to salt water? If so, I can’t find a salt cell to support a 3,000 gallon pool. I have received conflicting information about whether or not I can use a salt cell designed for a larger pool.
2. The previous owner only ran the pool for 2 hours a day (the water is turned ~4 times in 2 hours). I have heard that CYA floats to the top when the pool is off (i.e. protects the chlorine) and that it is ok to only run the pool for 2 hours since it turns the water 4 times. Is it ok? If not, would your recommend replacing the pump with a variable speed pump (expensive to run a 2.5hp pump all day).

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: We normally manage pools 3K or below as seasonal pools, but in your situation that would mean you dumping water each time you get home. Not ideal. You can install an SWG. We always recommend an SWG rated for at least 2X the size of the pool, so if you get one rated for 6K or a little above that fine. You should be able to adjust either the pump run time and/or SWG output to provide as much (or as little) free chlorine as needed. You might hop online to Discount Salt Pools SWG comparisons tab to view a long list of SWGs that might work for you.

As for the CYA floating and/or water turnover, don't worry about those. Pump run time is dedicated to FC product for SWG owners, cleaning, mixing chemical when added, and most importantly skimming the water's surface.

If you have any other questions let us know. Pool Care Basics

Welcome to the forum
I have a 40K gallon rated SWCG for my 6K gallon pool. Works great!
Get a 15-20K rated SWCG. What is your equipment? Do you have automation?
I have heard that CYA floats to the top when the pool is off
No. That is truly a fallacy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.