In line cal hypo chlorinator

Boomerbull

Aug 20, 2023
Eliot ME
Are there really no inexpensive options for an inline chlorinator that uses only cal hypo tablets? There are so many cheap ones for trichlor, but I want the calcium and not the CYA to be added.

If you have any options for a very small pool, let me know!

Are there really no inexpensive options for an inline chlorinator that uses only cal hypo tablets? There are so many cheap ones for trichlor, but I want the calcium and not the CYA to be added.

Is a floater not an option for some reason? The issue is that if someone puts a trichlor tablet in a feeder calhypo has been you get a dangerous reaction. Most people can’t chlorinate their pool with calhypo because scaling will occur once the levels get too high.

Reactions: Newdude

I think the safety issue is overblown. But the reality is, if you put regular 3" cal hypo tablets into a feeder designed for trichlor, the tablets rapidly disintegrate into a mess and plug up the feed tubes. The ad above specifies Pool Life tablets ONLY. There's probably a reason for that!

I think the safety issue is overblown. But the reality is, if you put regular 3" cal hypo tablets into a feeder designed for trichlor, the tablets rapidly disintegrate into a mess and plug up the feed tubes. The ad above specifies Pool Life tablets ONLY. There's probably a reason for that!
From "Water Conditioning and Purification International" as just one instance:

"Even though they may look similar, different chlorine-based products are incompatible with each other. In particular, trichloro-s-triazinetrione (trichlor) should not be mixed with calcium or sodium hypochlorite. If trichlor tablets, which are acidic, are mixed in water with calcium hypochlorite tablets, which are alkaline, they will react as they dissolve. The reaction produces considerable heat and toxic fumes, including chlorine gas. For example, in 2009, an Illinois family tried mixing two brands of pool chlorine in the kitchen, resulting in an explosion. Three members of the family were taken to the hospital with breathing difficulty.5 If the mixture is sealed inside a tablet feeder, the hot gas can produce enough pressure to blow the lid off the feeder or the reaction can be violent enough to blow the feeder apart.6 The labels for both chemical products warn against mixing with other chemicals."

Not saying you should put both in at the same time. But a small residual isn't going to cause any issues.
It can cause issues, even trace amounts. Someone posted just a little while ago how one blew cause they put the wrong tablets in an empty bucket.

Had an IRL buddy who caused an explosion tossing this years X in last years Y bucket. It didn't leave a creator, but there wasn't any bucket left and had he been standing over it, he would have gotten a face full of burn-y stuff, no doubt.

Not saying you should put both in at the same time. But a small residual isn't going to cause any issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.