Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
So, i’m at the in-laws... they have a SWG, and a retractable cover.

Right now, the Salt level via test kit is ~2000ppm. The SWG, Pentair intellichlor, says it requires 3600ppm (printed on the unit).

The pool is always low chlorine. Either 0 or 1 ppm. I have been adding bleach (like we do with our home pool) whilst we’re here, to keep it sanitary.

My in laws have a pool guy. He says that he keeps the salt low to prevent the SWG from generating too much chlorine. In the past, when the pool cover is on for extended periods of time, the Cl climbs really high, I assume because it’s getting no UV light from the sun. However, the pool cover is off a lot when we’re here.

Question is - does the SWG produce any chlorine when salt is low? Or is it essentially off?

Should I go any buy salt, and just add it to hit ~3600ppm so the SWG is happy, and then dial the generation rate and pump time to get things dosing correctly?

Clay,

An IC40 does not produce any chlorine below 2600 ppm.. Between 2600 and 2800 it produces a reduced amount of chlorine. Between 2800 and 4500 it produces the normal rate of chlorine.

Your pool guy is an idiot. If you want to limit the SWCG output you either reduce the % of output and/or reduce the pump run time, you do not reduce the salt level... Sigh!!!

Bringing the salt level up is a good plan. I would also tell the in-laws to open the cover several times a week when not using the pool.

I doubt you have your test kit with you, but it would also be nice to know the current CYA level.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the quick confirmation of idiocy.

I shall head off to Home Depot shortly.

I bought the in-laws the TFT Test Kits TF-100 a while ago, but the CYA view tube is missing now! I suspect it’s close to zero, as the FC is not lasting long. I’d order another, but I suspect they wouldnt use it.

Pool guy doesn't understand how an SWG works. There has to be a minimum level of salt for the production of chlorine to take place. Limiting the salt doesn't limit the chlorine production. The level of chlorine is adjusted by how long the SWG runs and at what percentage. The pool needs to breathe. Keeping it covered and chlorinated 24/7 doesn't allow the products of oxidation to outgas from the water, and blocks the sun's uv rays from aiding in the destruction of chloramines. Also, unless there is 0 CYA in this pool, the FC level is too low. Do you have an FAS/DPD test kit at your inlaws?

Unless the inlaws are planning to fire the pool guy and take over the pool care, you should probably stick with testing and using liquid bleach while you are there. Odds are pool guy will adjust things back to his satisfaction once you leave.

Bringing the salt level up is a good plan. I would also tell the in-laws to open the cover several times a week when not using the pool.

The first thing is I'd tell them is to fire the pool guy, then address the cover. [emoji3]. If that guy has indeed been telling that story he's just not very knowledgeable. Educate the inlaws or do homework to find the right pool guy.

Clay,

An IC40 does not produce any chlorine below 2600 ppm.. Between 2600 and 2800 it produces a reduced amount of chlorine. Between 2800 and 4500 it produces the normal rate of chlorine.

Your pool guy is an idiot. If you want to limit the SWCG output you either reduce the % of output and/or reduce the pump run time, you do not reduce the salt level... Sigh!!!

I doubt you have your test kit with you, but it would also be nice to know the current CYA level.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Idiot is not politically correct, in my circle we refer to them as pool fools.

Incidentally, pool fools are great for business.

The first thing is I'd tell them is to fire the pool guy, then address the cover. [emoji3]. If that guy has indeed been telling that story he's just not very knowledgeable. Educate the inlaws or do homework to find the right pool guy.

Yeah. Recommended firing the pool guy last year! Still here. I’ll see if I can find another candidate or two.

I’m trying the education route too.

You don't really need the CYA tube to do the test. You can get a general idea just by mixing and putting in another thin tube. Check online for a picture and roughly estimate. I would also raise the salt level to where it should be. He will have a really hard time reducing the salt level.

You don't really need the CYA tube to do the test. You can get a general idea just by mixing and putting in another thin tube. Check online for a picture and roughly estimate. I would also raise the salt level to where it should be. He will have a really hard time reducing the salt level.

He won’t have a hard time lowering the salt what so ever...

This “pool-dude” will never know the salt was raised.

He won’t have a hard time lowering the salt what so ever...

This “pool-dude” will never know the salt was raised.

Ha ha yes actually this was my initial thoughts as well. In fact, I doubt he was even aware that the level had dropped. I suspect he just said that off the cuff to cover for his ineptitude when confronted with the low salt level readings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks all for your helpful advice. I agree that pool guy will likely not notice salt level. I’m pretty sure that he rarely tests for salt.

After hauling 14 x 40lb bags of salt back from Home Depot, I got the salt level in the pool to 3600ppm. Added 2/3 of expected amount, let circulate a while, then tuned to hit the number. Took about 10 bags in this 37500gal pool. I put 1 bag in the Hot Tub too, it had an original salt concentration of about 1600ppm.

Rebalanced pH, and will take your idea of guesstimating the CYA using a similar receptacle. I bet it’s really near zero. Will report back!

The pool intellichlor is all green status lights now, and generating happily. The spa one is blinking green, too much salt, so I think I overdosed that. Likely not to worry as it needs topping up with water in any case, which will dilute a bit. Still appears to be generating though, as Cl is climbing.

Intellichlor ICXX cells do not turn off with high salt. They just blink and warn you when salt is above 4500.

Maybe someone on the forum would be good enough to post the measurements of the graduation marks for the CYA test. It doesn't matter what size tube you use as long as it is the same width bottom to top. I would do it but I'm not at home. You just need someone to post a picture of the CYA test cylinder with a ruler next to it so you can make your marks accordingly.

Maybe someone on the forum would be good enough to post the measurements of the graduation marks for the CYA test. It doesn't matter what size tube you use as long as it is the same width bottom to top. I would do it but I'm not at home. You just need someone to post a picture of the CYA test cylinder with a ruler next to it so you can make your marks accordingly.

BA334804-7381-4BCF-AAED-36B5EF086101.jpg

Hey, very many thanks for the picture with the ruler.

No prizes for guessing the outcome of the CYA test though... ZERO.

Off to find some CYA later...

Yiikes! Possibly the pool had a bacteria infection at one time that consumed all the cya. Good luck get er done!

Boss? What's a Boss???

All you need is a guy and a truck and a website now a days.
Not even a website. Just create shill posts in any of the many social media sites, maybe on Yelp too, on how great "Reamers Pool Service" is and then wait for people to call based on the recommendation from "Yu Gotmee". No verification, no checking of any type. Explain no website as you don't have skills nor time because you already have so many clients. People eat it up all the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.