In Ground Spa Draining Into Pool

lblomq

Bronze Supporter
Nov 8, 2016
Mesa, AZ
I have 2 check valves and I'm not sure which is failing. After the spa had refilled I turned off the pump and disassembled both check valves as well as the Jandy valve and everything looked fine to my unprofessional eyes. I would have expected the water level in the spa to drop while the valves were taken apart but nothing happened. The Jandy vale is always kept in the position shown in the attached photo, fully closed on the spa suction side. This has been going on for a few months. The spa did hold the water level in the past. When I opened the check valve nearest to the Jandy valve it was dry inside but when I removed the inner workings the water level in the pipe below did fall.

I appreciate any and all any suggestions for repair.

Attachments

• Plumbing Pic with labels.pdf
    688.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Please post your pics directly tot he forum. Many of us will not open unknown files like your PDF.

lb,

The Jandy Check valve (your left arrow) is the most likely one to be bad.

You can easily test this by just shutting off the Spa return valve just above the check valve. This will shut off your spa overflow, If the spa does not drain down when the Spa Return line is closed, then the Jandy check valve is bad. Obviously, you do this test with the pump off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

lb,

The Jandy Check valve (your left arrow) is the most likely one to be bad.

You can easily test this by just shutting off the Spa return valve just above the check valve. This will shut off your spa overflow, If the spa does not drain down when the Spa Return line is closed, then the Jandy check valve is bad. Obviously, you do this test with the pump off.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I did the test and the spa did not drain, so I replaced the Jandy check valve and it drained half as much overnight, so that was a help. Any suggestions on what else is needed to stop it draining altogether?

I saw a post on a related problem where the pool owner had tried to fix the problem using an aftermarket check valve flapper, then based on advice from TFP readers, replaced it with an OEM valve and that solved his problem. So I did the same, replacing the aftermarket flapper I had used to get the partial fix mentioned in the previous post with a Jandy OEM and that fixed my problem.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.