In Ground Pool Repair- What are the layers?

MHB47

Mar 9, 2024
California
I have a small in ground concrete pool that appears to be painted. We bought the house with the pool installed and I do not know a lot about pools. A section of the pool, under the tile, has come away from the concrete. However, I do not know the proper fix because I don't know the layers I am seeing.

1. Can anyone understand what the layers are based on the pictures?
2. What's the fix? Concrete?
We tried epoxy and that did not hold.

Greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Pool Side 1.jpg
    Pool Side 1.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Pool Side 2.jpg
    Pool Side 2.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Pool Side 3.jpg
    Pool Side 3.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Pool Side 4.jpg
    Pool Side 4.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 33

Show us a couple of pics from further back so we can get some context...

It appears that you have a gunite pool that has a layer of plaster (All normal)

And instead of replacing the bad plaster, someone just painted over it.

Once the plaster separates from the gunite, it can be patched by looks pretty bad.

When the plaster delaminates from one spot, it is likely to delaminate from many spots.. It is a sure sign that the pool needs to be replastered.

Show us more pics and some of our other members may have a different view..

It appears to be a typical flipper lipstick on a pig kind of 'repair'. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have a small in ground concrete pool that appears to be painted. We bought the house with the pool installed and I do not know a lot about pools. A section of the pool, under the tile, has come away from the concrete. However, I do not know the proper fix because I don't know the layers I am seeing.

1. Can anyone understand what the layers are based on the pictures?
2. What's the fix? Concrete?
We tried epoxy and that did not hold.

Greatly appreciated!
It appears that your concrete/plaster pool has had a layer of fiberglass applied to the surface. It also looks like the area of the picture has had the plaster below the fiberglass delaminate from the underlying concrete (gunite/shotcrete?). It is being held together by the fiberglass.
The repair will be extensive. All the fiberglass will have to be removed, then the bad plaster.

Reactions: JamesW
I agree that it is probably fiberglass.

The fiberglass is delaminating.

You might need to strip everything out down to the gunite.

The coping and tile should be evaluated as well and addressed as needed.

You are looking at a $25k'ish repair. Give or take. The good news is that you should be good for 20 years once repaired properly. Post more pics if you can.

Thanks all! We bought the house a few years ago, so that ship has sailed. Just needing to know what I am looking at so I understand pool construction layers and possible band-aid fixes and actual long-term fixes. Responses have been greatly appreciated!