In ground pool equipment for above ground pool?

Hi All,
We have an Intex Ultra Frame pool on our backyard. We used to live at a house with an in ground pool, and I had replaced the original Pacfab sand filter but still had it, as well as a Hayward Superflow pump. A also had the multiport valve, and 2 years ago plumbed the Intex with the above instead of the equipment that it came with. It is all installed on the ground.

Are there issues with using the setup this way? I obviously had to install valves to prevent water from rushing backwards every time I shut off the pump in order to open up the system.

I recently added a deck that goes all the way around the pool. I could relocate the equipment to above water level, but wonder of it is necessary...

As alway, any guidance will be appreciated!

Thanks,
David

No issue. Only difference between an 'inground' and 'above ground' pool pump is the inground is self-priming.

Hi MK,
Thanks for the quick response! I was trying to come up with an explanation as to why the water isn't clear yet (sand washed out of the filter because of the force of the back wash), but I guess I will have to accept the much more likely answer that it probably (I loaned out my testing kit) has not yet cleared the SLAM and OCL processes...

Thanks Again,
David

Hi All,
We have an Intex Ultra Frame pool on our backyard. We used to live at a house with an in ground pool, and I had replaced the original Pacfab sand filter but still had it, as well as a Hayward Superflow pump. A also had the multiport valve, and 2 years ago plumbed the Intex with the above instead of the equipment that it came with. It is all installed on the ground.

Are there issues with using the setup this way? I obviously had to install valves to prevent water from rushing backwards every time I shut off the pump in order to open up the system.

I recently added a deck that goes all the way around the pool. I could relocate the equipment to above water level, but wonder of it is necessary...

As alway, any guidance will be appreciated!

Thanks,
David

Reactions: kellyfair
No issue. Only difference between an 'inground' and 'above ground' pool pump is the inground is self-priming.

I've seen this mentioned several times but every Hayward above ground pump I've had claimed to be self priming?

Edit ok I was wrong. Apparently only this series is. But even do these still need water in the basket to start, no?

Screenshot_20210619-190230.png

Last edited:
The listing on the Powerflo II is a bit "generous". I've just installed my second Powerflo LX (similar).
They're both simple centrifugal pumps, as such they need to have a 'flow' of water to them in order run. The manual for the Powerflo II even states:
" Allow pump inlet height to be as close to water level as possible."

Gear pumps will "pull' water up through the inlet pipe to the pump. These almost always require check valves on the inlet/outlet of the pump head.
Respectfully,

Reactions: cj133
The listing on the Powerflo II is a bit "generous". I've just installed my second Powerflo LX (similar).
They're both simple centrifugal pumps, as such they need to have a 'flow' of water to them in order run. The manual for the Powerflo II even states:
" Allow pump inlet height to be as close to water level as possible."

Gear pumps will "pull' water up through the inlet pipe to the pump. These almost always require check valves on the inlet/outlet of the pump head.
Respectfully,

That's exactly what confuses me.
I've never seen any pool pump in ground or above ground that was capable of literally self priming.

All of them, including the inground pool pumps are just centrifugal pumps. No?
And if that's true, how do in ground setups deal with the lift? Just a check valve on the inlet?

And if that's true, how do in ground setups deal with the lift? Just a check valve on the inlet?
Self priming pools are just that, self priming. They can typically manage a lift of around 6 feet. No check valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Self priming pools are just that, self priming. They can typically manage a lift of around 6 feet. No check valve.

So you're saying a Hayward Super Pump can pump air and pull enough of a vacuum to lift water 6 feet?
Or, the basket assembly holds enough water to make all of this happen?

That's what I'm trying to understand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.