In ground pool, air bubbles in pump lid, tried almost everything, help!

PapaAlan

Dec 10, 2023
Dallas
I'm posting a youtube link to see me walk through everything about this but essentially, I can't seem to get rid of the air bubbles infiltrating my system.

I've got no water leaks first off. Secondly, have new o-ring on lid with gel.
Have check all suction lines, valves and replace o-rings in jandy vales with gel as well.
Check join, no air suction, used foam, soap, and water and nothing shows a suction leak.
I'm no guru so looking for the cause is beyond me at this point.
Logically if none of the above, I was thinking perhaps it was a cracked line underground but I've moved the jandy vales shutting off one side (skimmer/bottom drains) and the kiddy pool side and no difference noted, same ole bubbles.

Hope you've got a better clue than me at this point.
Thanks In Advance to anyone who comes up with something.
Here is video link...

I'm posting a youtube link to see me walk through everything about this but essentially, I can't seem to get rid of the air bubbles infiltrating my system.

Have check all suction lines, valves and replace o-rings in jandy vales with gel as well.
Check join, no air suction, used foam, soap, and water and nothing shows a suction leak.
Logically if none of the above, I was thinking perhaps it was a cracked line underground but I've moved the jandy vales shutting off one side (skimmer/bottom drains) and the kiddy pool side and no difference noted, same ole bubbles.

Here is video link...
First step is to turn the pump on and then go over and check the skimmers to make sure the weir door isn’t closed too far and preventing enough water to get inside the skimmer. If it’s full of water when the pump is ON, it should be ok.

Did it used to be OK, and is a new issue - or is the pool new to you, so you don't have much history with it?

Does your pump have high/low speeds? Does the amount of bubbles change noticeably with the change in pump speed?

Do they accumulate when the pump is off?

Sometimes the lid itself can be at fault, you may want to try a new one, rather than just the seal.

When was the last time you cleaned your filter? I'm new at this (4 years) but had this happen once. Turned out that once I gave the filters a good cleaning, it went away. My pressure doesn't rise on my filter so I just set a reminder for every 4 months to clean the cartridges. May try this as a simple variable in your search for an answer. I also use hair nets in my skimmer and that helps keep the big stuff out of the pump basket. Good luck.

Here is video link...
Put a bead of silicone sealant, not grease, around the pump inlet. Be sure to fill the void between the pump and adapter. You don't need to put a lot sticking out around the fitting, waste of product and looks ugley.
If you have a spa that has been used, it is possible that the standard PVC male adapter now going into the front of the pump has shrunk a bit due to the heat of the water. That will allow air into the pump when running.
Also, replace the O rings (2-stem, 1-lid) in the Jandy valve in front of the pump. If the valve has been used a lot, after lubricating the stem O rings wrap 2 layers of Teflon tape around them, lubricate the tape and re-assemble the valve. It will be stiff, but that's OK. The O rings do not have to be Jandy brand, all modern 3-way valves of that type use the same O rings. DO NOT use a power screw driver to re-install the 8 screws in the valve, it is very easy to overtighten and crack the body. Then, it is new valve time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.