In correct chlorine reading?

Good morning,

i have been struggling with returning Algae in my pool. completed and passed TWO SLAMS...but the algae comes back. I have been testing daily with my k-1000 kit and i always show in the 5-10 range...week,y test with the regent have consistent at 8-9 .

ive been mystified as to why my algae comes back if my chlorine is not low.....so i broke down and took a sample to pool store and they said my chlorine is only 4....???

my TF kit readings
temp 80
8 FC
0 CC
7.5 PH
TA 120
CH 350
3000 salt ok for my CG
pool store test mimics my readings except the chlorine?

oh....my CYA has been at 60.....just had a massive rain event past couple days so im sure it it lower now will check soon and update.

*edit CYA:is 50
thoughts?

ps....i just replaced my regents ...so all are fresh?

im going to need to start another SLAM...but want to know if im doing something wrong with chlorine first before i start...cuz i don't trust my readings

Last edited:
When you add drops, are you holding it completely vertical and letting the drops fall almost on their own? If the drops are too small you could be getting too many. Otherwise I would trust your test over the store’s.

Ok...I’ve got algae again so planning another slam...we just had a large rain event...my CYA is low ..50. Do i raise that before I slam?

my chlorine is still pretty high so I really dont know why i got algae again??
here are numbers
FC 9
CC .5
PH 7.2
TA 120
CH 320
CYA50

i looked everywhere...behing both light fixtures ..took cover off main drain....i can find no hidden algae.

thank you

I am not an expert but to have returning algae I think you would either have to have a hidden source, or your FC has been too low for a period of time to allow algae to start back up or both.
Are you FC checking daily?

Lisa,

I'm just south of you a little. How frequently are you brushing and is your filter pressure increasing? What does your pool look like and where is the algae? We've had a LOT of sun and very hot. Only thing I can think of is localized lack of flow. Your testing appears to be good but just in case I'd try doing a few days with the drop test just to be sure.

Chris

Lisa,

I'm just south of you a little. How frequently are you brushing and is your filter pressure increasing? What does your pool look like and where is the algae? We've had a LOT of sun and very hot. Only thing I can think of is localized lack of flow. Your testing appears to be good but just in case I'd try doing a few days with the drop test just to be sure.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chris ...to be honest...I just am not believing my chlorine test...but BOTH the FAS-DPD and the tayor K-1000 agree with each other. Pump is running from 9a-6p and generator is running at 50%.

pool looks clean...until you brush. Then i get a cloud of pale green. I brush everyday. No pressure build up in filter at all.

ive done several slams now....pass each on after several days......but then the algae comes back a couple weeks later without ever having a dip in my chlorine?

lisa

Lisa,
The K 1000 is not good for measuring above FC 5 ppm and it's not really reliable for quantitative results so I would use the FAS DPD daily for a while. Just to check your instincts about FC. I'd also run an OCLT. Another possibility could be dust from the Sahara. It's the worst in years causing the brilliant orange sunsets. We get some even though we have have it fully enclosed. You can see the haze in late afternoon. Can you please post a complete set of test results? I'll ask a few of the "brain trust" to comment also. @Jimrahbe @ajw22 @mknauss.

Chris

Do you have any water features?

Post pics of your pool and spa.

Lisa,

When you did your prior SLAMs, what FC were you maintaining?

How often were you testing your SLAM level during the first day or two??

About how long did each SLAM last?

Did you run your SLAM with your SWCG on or off?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Lisa,
The K 1000 is not good for measuring above FC 5 ppm and it's not really reliable for quantitative results so I would use the FAS DPD daily for a while. Just to check your instincts about FC. I'd also run an OCLT. Another possibility could be dust from the Sahara. It's the worst in years causing the brilliant orange sunsets. We get some even though we have have it fully enclosed. You can see the haze in late afternoon. Can you please post a complete set of test results? I'll ask a few of the "brain trust" to comment also. @Jimrahbe @ajw22 @mknauss.

Chris
I usally test with k-1000 avery other day ir so...I use the FAS-DPD when i run full results once a week or so....what iw as saying is the the k-1000 has show chlorine to be in the highest range it measures...it has not dropped at all which is why I'm wondering what imdid wrong to end up with Algae again..

Lisa,

Yes SLAM first. It will require less chlorine. You can raise it back up after you're done with the SLAM. I'm still at a loss on the reason you need the frequent slams. I'd run 3 ppm above target and see if that helps. Your pool looks great in the photo but I'm sure I can't see the detail well enough to see the yellowish material on the bottom.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.