Impact of using a SWG with a disabled temperature sensor?

dhiraj

Jul 20, 2021
Niagara Falls, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hi folks, on my Pentair Intellichlor IC20, the inspect cell light would blink green indicating some problem with the cell. After going through various helpful posts on the forum, I diagnosed that my cell's flow switch temperature sensor was the problem. I opened up the flow switch, clipped the wire and then joined up the red and black wires, while leaving the white and green wires cut.

The cell seems to be generating chlorine fine now! I will try and determine the correct percentage to run it at and get a good chlorine level in my pool. I'm looking for a replacement flow switch, but here in Niagara Falls, Canada those are sold quite overpriced? I'm getting price quotes for anything between CA$160 to CA$300. I'm still looking for the right shop to buy from, please suggest where I might find a flow switch for my Pentair Intellichlor at a decent price - any suggestions are welcome!

The question for me, now is this: Is running the SWG without a temperature sensor going to cause any problems in the medium term? I intend to replace the entire SWG next year - according to the More menu diagnosis it is through about 60% of its 10,000 hours life.

It will not hurt it at all.. When the water gets down between 60 to 65 degrees F it will make less chlorine than a higher temp.. :)

I thought it was just the temp wires... Listen to @mknauss
The temperature wires were cut. The flow switch wires were twisted together disabling the flow switch. Very dangerous.
I opened up the flow switch, clipped the wire and then joined up the red and black wires, while leaving the white and green wires cut.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Yep, sorry I should have been clearer. I didn’t short the switch, I connected red-to-red and blac-to-black.
Also, my pool circuit is all together on the same circuit breaker; the SWG and pool pump are on the same switch. I don’t have a variable speed pump, everything is built around 2015-2016 as far as I can tell.
The Harwill flow switch in the SWG has a label with a 2015 date on it.
We can’t really use the pool in winter time, everything’s gonna freeze up here. I intend to winterize the pool sometime in… September?

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.