Impact of salt on the screws inside pool posts?

BIC

Jul 7, 2007
Hi everyone, my first post here :)

I'm getting my first pool installed on Monday or Tuesday 8). So, as you can guess I don't know a lot about pools, I'm a real novice. However, I tried to do my homework as much as I could by reading (a lot) and talking to many people. I learned a lot already on this forum, so thanks a lot :-D. By the way, I live in Canada.

My case:

I bought an above ground poll made by this company, it's the JAZZ model : http://www.aqualeader.com/swf/index.html

This pool is completly made with resin, execept the screws and the walls. I also bought the SWG Aqua Trol from Golden Line (Hayward).

My question about rust:

I know the pool should not rust because it's all made of resin (execept the walls and screws). For the walls it's should be ok:
- Steel wallsfinished with Duratex 2000 anticorrosion paint (seems good)
- Internall walls protected against humidity and chemicals

I'm more concern about the screws, that are inside the posts at the top and bottom. Are they going to rust because of the salt? Can they rust to the point that they could break and/or then make the pool not secure?

Your opinion is welcome.

BIC - the novice :?

BIC, congrats on the impending pool! As long as the screws are properly made stainless steel the 2700 - 3400 ppm salt won't harm them. However, last year there was a problem with Hayward light screws being improperly manufactured and rustinf out very quickly in salt pools :( If you notice any rusting of the screws, simply remove one and take it to a good hardware store and get stainless replacements - it shouldn't be expensive and is a quick and easy fix 8)

I was wondering if the water would get into the posts and then start rust on the screws inside the posts. There is few screws on top (inside) of each post and one at the bottom of each post.

The pool manufature told me that the pool is guaratee for SWG, but with everything I read about rust and SWG, I'm not sure anymore.

BIC,

I dont know what the screws are made of but if they are stainless steel, you shouldn't have any concerns. If they are not, perhaps you can request s/s screws, or replace them on your own, although I think there are alot of screws.
Occasional rinsing of your pool, especially around the screws, should ensure better conditions to avoid any problems.

Shelly, you should not have any problems if you're adding salt for the comfort, by adding enough to get to 1000 - 1500 ppm.

Hope this helps,

Poolsean said:
BIC,

I dont know what the screws are made of but if they are stainless steel, you shouldn't have any concerns. If they are not, perhaps you can request s/s screws, or replace them on your own, although I think there are alot of screws.
Occasional rinsing of your pool, especially around the screws, should ensure better conditions to avoid any problems.

Shelly, you should not have any problems if you're adding salt for the comfort, by adding enough to get to 1000 - 1500 ppm.

Hope this helps,

Hi Poolsean,

As describe in my first post, the pool is completely made of resin except the screws inside the posts. So I cannot really rinse the screws as they are not visible (inside posts). I looked in the PDF manual (manufacture Web site) and the part that describes the pool parts says that thery are stainless screws. However, they do not specify what kind or grade.

So what do you think?

Shelley N said:
BIC -

I'm am waiting and watching as I would like to just add some salt to my water for comfort. I would love to think it won't hurt, but I'd be kidding myself if I thought I could keep the salted water off anything that was metal.

Shelley

Shelly,

Other than the screws, is your pool made of resin or metal?

BIC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The remote possibility that enough screws would rust through to cause it to fall apart is far fetched and may occur long after you will have needed to replace the liner for whatever reason, NOT as a result of salt. If it makes you feel better, or for more peace of mind, spray the screws afterwards with Rustoleum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.