Imagine Illusion 40 Complete 10/19/21

Also, S.S. can go scratch. :ROFLMAO:
I still have that letter and just read it yesterday. I had it in my wallet n switched everything to a new one. I bet you he's still sore over Jimmy sending his wife down there. :mrgreen:

Reactions: Newdude
It is hard for me to tell exactly what is where from your pictures, but if you have water running into the room then just putting in a drainage pipe is likely not going to fix the issue.

The best course of action is to properly slope the surrounding area. It should be below the threshold of the door, and then pitch away in all directions. If that cannot be achieved, then you need to put a drain in the area and run drainage pipe, at the correct slope, to daylight.

You could in theory use crushed stone (not chips, 3/4" clean) as a basin to collect the water, but given how much mud it looks like enters the mud room, that is going to silt up quickly, and then it is a bear to clean out.

A better option is to install something like this - NDS 12 in. x 12 in. Drainage Catch Basin, 2 Opening Kit 1200BKIT - The Home Depot

in the area and slope the surrounding area to the drain. Use the pipe with the foam peanuts around it closest to your mud room and the drain. Then use the rest of your perf or slotted pipe (whatever you have) for the rest of the run. The drainage pipe needs to be at a slope of 1/8" per foot (or better, if you have heavy runoff, 1/4" per foot). Holes on perf pipe go on the top and bottom, not the sides.

Bed the pipe in more 3/4" clean stone. If you want to get fancy you can line the trench with a geotextile before you backfill. No need for stone dust, in fact you do not want the stone dust, it will infiltrate the drainage structure.

You are also going to need a trench that is much bigger than 6"-8". You need room for the stone, and you need room to work to get your slope correctly.

Edit: I reread what you are planning to do. Creating a swale leading away from the door to an other spot by the shed should also work, as long as that is not where you plan to walk on a regular basis.

I would still put a catch basin at the end of the swale at your shed.

Reactions: Casey
The trench for the pipe would be 2-3ft deep or more. I have to run it towards the back through the gate because of how the land lays. I'm pitching the water away from the door. I've already dug down and found a side walk. There's just so much dirt that's built up over the years. It was completely covered.

Set a few pieces of stone. As I was digging out, I found 3/4" base under the dirt. That with the crushed stone should be good. I have spectators. I think I'll try and get ahold of my fence guy and have him lower my gate. There's a big gap that my little one could escape from so I put a bigger slab right under it. I also found this sidewalk.20220824_172253.jpg20220824_172300.jpg20220824_172316.jpg20220824_172324.jpg20220824_172337.jpg20220824_172340.jpg20220824_172342.jpg20220824_172407.jpg20220824_172410.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some pics of what I got done today. I see a step up in my future going into the dogs yard. That door looks horrible but it is what it is. I'll be starting the ditch tomorrow.20220824_200143.jpg20220824_200149.jpg20220824_200152.jpg20220824_200159.jpg

Reactions: B.lu and Newdude
It looks like a lot of fill was put there for some reason. Continuing the slope that you have started should greatly help with the water/mud issue.

As for the gate, that is something you can do yourself if you want. Just loosen the bolts (not remove, just loosen) on the two clamps connecting the hinges, and on the hasp, slide them to where they need to be, and retighten.

Reactions: Casey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like a lot of fill was put there for some reason. Continuing the slope that you have started should greatly help with the water/mud issue.

As for the gate, that is something you can do yourself if you want. Just loosen the bolts (not remove, just loosen) on the two clamps connecting the hinges, and on the hasp, slide them to where they need to be, and retighten.
It's just the lay of the land with some erosion going on since the dogs beat down the grass. Here's the bigger gate I'll be running the drainage tube through. I took pics of the land closer to the ground looking up towards the dogs yard and one towards the door n front porch from the top of their yard.20220825_131943.jpg20220825_132011.jpg20220825_132025.jpg20220825_132047.jpg

Didn't get as far as I wanted to today because I had a Dr appointment and decided to cut my hair by myself. It turned out really nice incase anyone is wondering. :mrgreen: I did start working on it at 1800 til 1930. I'm brainstorming how to do the portion under the big gate. I think I'll take the grass off the top and but the flat stone up against the other grass and make it level after I back fill the drainage pipe. I have enough flat rock to make a little 1ft retaining wall to go around the fence and make a step up going into their yard. I'm only going to dog our to the post of the big gate. I'll get up early and start working on it tomorrow morning. It's my last day off and I want to swim too. My trusty shovel. I've had that girl for almost 10 years. We've dug a lot of ditches together. LOL20220825_135312.jpg20220825_195033.jpg20220825_195038.jpg20220825_195157.jpg20220825_195205.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
reckon a grated drain along that dirt line where it meets the gravel in the second pic. Start it around the side if water collects there and run it across the path into a buried pipe until it can pop up and drain away to where it doesn't matter. Lower the gate as suggested elsewhere, or can a second cross bar be added.

Hair looks nice BTW, but now you have cut it are you up for some diy foils.

My trusty shovel. I've had that girl for almost 10 years. We've dug a lot of ditches together. LOL
I just broke mine and it brought a tear to my eye. It was a top of the line fiberglass handle one that Kmart had on clearance for $1 and I didn't even need it, but $1. ('member Kmart ???).

Me and my trusty dollar shovel probably went to China twice. Or. That random spot in the ocean that's actually dead below my house.

I haven't thrown it out yet, it may get hung on the garage wall in memoriam.

• Love
Reactions: Stump and Casey
I just broke mine and it brought a tear to my eye. It was a top of the line fiberglass handle one that Kmart had on clearance for $1 and I didn't even need it, but $1. ('member Kmart ???).

Me and my trusty dollar shovel probably went to China twice. Or. That random spot in the ocean that's actually dead below my house.

I haven't thrown it out yet, it may get hung on the garage wall in memoriam.
I do remember Kmart! You got the blue light special in the garden aisle right?! :mrgreen: You can't beat a great shovel. My brother asked if I had another shovel and I said yes. He grabbed Mt girl n I went for the wooden handled one and took my girl away from him. I said, Here... here is YOUR shovel. This one is MINE! LOL
reckon a grated drain along that dirt line where it meets the gravel in the second pic. Start it around the side if water collects there and run it across the path into a buried pipe until it can pop up and drain away to where it doesn't matter. Lower the gate as suggested elsewhere, or can a second cross bar be added.

Hair looks nice BTW, but now you have cut it are you up for some diy foils.
I have natural highlights. It's called grey hair! Haven't colored my hair in 9 years! I'm just waiting for it to turn white.

Reactions: Stump and Newdude
I finished the dig with my supervisor. He's absolutely beat and we're taking a break. I have to bring in loads of stone for right now before the storm rolls through to keep it from being a muddy mess.20220826_121146.jpg20220826_121148.jpg20220826_121159.jpg20220826_121829.jpg

I recieved my catch basin the other day. I was going to work on my stone patio today but we're getting a lot of rain. I'm very happy to say that although the project is currently incomplete, it is raining AND my mud room is dry! I'm taking it easy today with one less tooth in my mouth. If it dries up tomorrow, I'll work on it.

* fix my pics @Newdude * :laughblue:20220830_140823.jpg20220830_140816.jpg20220830_140831.jpg20220830_140338.jpg20220830_140344.jpg

Today, before I got ready to winterize the pool, I found 2 diving diamonds in the pool. One was a diamond that is April's birthstone color and the other is blue topaz, December's birthstone color. My hubby and I have birthdays in April and December. I'd like to think it was a sign from him that he wanted me to know everything would be okay. I left them in the pool and covered it. 20221002_104940.jpg20221002_104931.jpgScreenshot_20221002-105240_Google.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.