Imagine Illusion 40 Complete 10/19/21

I'm not weaving that through my fence. Its getting cold n I'm done spending money. The outside perimeter of the fence will be out of view in a couple years. I'm not worried about it. :cool: I spent 8 good years swimming in front of neighbors. What's a few more?

The fence is a 5ft chain link fence. Before I bought it, I spoke to my code enforcement officer and he said as long as its 5ft height, with a self latching, outward swinging gate, that I could purchase it to enclose my pool and pass code. We have many pools in the surrounding counties in this area who have chain link fences.

In less than 5byears, you will never see 3 sides of my chain link fence because of the green Giants I used on the inside and outside of the fence. Those evergreen trees will be impenetrable from humans and deer. The gate locking mechanism is at the top of the gate. I don't even think my granddaughter can access it. My fencing is very safe and secure.

Do you know how hard it is to plant between rain in mud?! My boots weighed at least 20lbs a piece! I got it done though. I had to.

Glad you did your homework around safety! Also very good idea to put plants that will hide the pool at some point that is another safety measure to avoid other kids from knowing you have a pool and trying to get in.

Reactions: Casey
Glad you did your homework around safety! Also very good idea to put plants that will hide the pool at some point that is another safety measure to avoid other kids from knowing you have a pool and trying to get in.
We definitely have little kiddies in the neighborhood. I was glad to see no one wanted to come onto the property during the build because it's out in the open. We had deer come visit too but none ended up in the pool. I always had intentions to plant on both sides. When I spoke to my inspector the first time, he was well... he was a jerk about it. But once I told him what I wanted to do with the fence n plantings of large trees on both sides to make it impenetrable, he warmed up to that very quickly. He's coming out on Thursday at 3pm to hopefully pass final inspection.

I just wanted to add the very last update to this pool build...

I PASSED INSPECTION and received my certificate of occupancy last week in the mail.

Now on to the longest winter in history ever recorded in my life! :mrgreen: 🥶 I'm so excited to live in my pool next year.

Congratulations Casey, it's been a long journey.
Yes it has! It wasn't the easiest and was a hard wait and it'll feel like an extremely long winter! I'm going to dump myself into the prison and make some money until end of May. Pay some debt off, comp some time n live in my pool this summer with my baby! We have a lot to make up!!! I am so excited that it's in! I enjoyed the process and knew exactly was was going on from years spent here and I had a great builder.

You guys have been awesome. I appreciate all of you more than you'll ever know.

Since I'm home from ER, figured I'd take advantage of the nice weather. I pulled some water out of the pool n cut a pool noodle up n stuck it in the skimmer. I planted 5 variegated wegelia bushes on the slope too. Wanna make sure that slope doesn't slide. The grass is coming in nicely but still needs more seed which I'll do in the spring.

I can still see the bottom of the deep end clearly.

I used Steven Stevenson's hose to pull water away from the property n down to the road. Hope he's not mad. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 20211210_132351.jpg
    20211210_132351.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 20211210_132355.jpg
    20211210_132355.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 20211210_132433.jpg
    20211210_132433.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 20211210_140239.jpg
    20211210_140239.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20211210_140301.jpg
    20211210_140301.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20211210_140312.jpg
    20211210_140312.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 73
My ground is still so squishy. How long does it take? Every time I go down there I'm coming out with a ton of mud on my boots. I still have bald patches where I missed spots of seed. I just bought more. I have a concrete company coming out soon for an estimate on a set of concrete steps and a new sidewalk that goes from the base of the steps, through the gate n up to the pool deck. Just waiting to get my husband's retirement back. I haven't gotten anything since he passed. I've been doing it all on my own. Just wondering about the ground. I'd like to be able to cut grass this year without the mower sinking into the ground. :oops:

That's tricky as this time of year the undisturbed parts of the yard would eat a heavy mower also now that several snow storms all melted at once.

The April showers are around the corner, but the last couple of years they didn't get here until May/June. 🤷‍♂️

Add topsoil to any bald spots and mix the seed into it instead of spreading it on top. Either the churned up clay soil was not grass friendly or rains washed the seeds away there. The topsoil will solve both problems at once and you'll success rate will be much better.

It's just so mushy. All of it. The pool isn't leaking but the ground is so dang squishy! I'm over it!

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My ground is still so squishy
Where they piled up the red clay from excavating the pool house basement, it was like that and would cake up on my shoes. When they went to fill inside the retaining wall, the contractor said he needed dry dirt and dug in a fresh spot then put the wet fill back in it's place.

One thing you may try is to either buy or maybe get some wood chips from where they clear power lines and scatter it all around as a top dressing. When we built the house, I got 1/2 of a tractor trailer roll off of wood chips and covered over all the red clay. I'm trying myself to get some free wood chips but if not, I will buy bulk chips and scatter out to give myself a base to walk on until the clay gets compacted again.

Where they piled up the red clay from excavating the pool house basement, it was like that and would cake up on my shoes. When they went to fill inside the retaining wall, the contractor said he needed dry dirt and dug in a fresh spot then put the wet fill back in it's place.

One thing you may try is to either buy or maybe get some wood chips from where they clear power lines and scatter it all around as a top dressing. When we built the house, I got 1/2 of a tractor trailer roll off of wood chips and covered over all the red clay. I'm trying myself to get some free wood chips but if not, I will buy bulk chips and scatter out to give myself a base to walk on until the clay gets compacted again.
I've already seeded and the grass is growing in. I just cant walk on it. It's bad. lol

Reactions: Newdude
I will be adding some soil some organic matter to our but have to get the digging finished first. The red clay in Georgia packs down like concrete after it settles but in the meantime, this is what I have.View attachment 391944
We have clay too. My builder took all my topsoil and piled it up in the bottom right corner of the yard. They redistributed it after the final grading. It's raining here right now and it's just been so saturated since the fall. I'm hoping that the hot summer will dry it up and compact it. I'm going to get a quote on extending my concrete in the shallow end sitting area more in a few weeks. I think I'll have the cash to cover it when I do the steps. I'm over the mud.

In your area, it probably firms up a good bit by early-mid April, once the grass is really growing, then it's using up some of the water in the soil. Otherwise, it's just evaporation which is slow this time of year. But rain or lack of it can push that date around. But your roots also aren't deep yet so the new area will stay squishy longer than other soil. But soon enough you'll be watering because its so dry.

Even if you don't water normally, I'd recommend watering some as needed this summer for the new grass. The roots are still shallow and if it goes dormant this summer, it may not come back. But nothing more fall seeding can't fix.

In your area, it probably firms up a good bit by early-mid April, once the grass is really growing, then it's using up some of the water in the soil. Otherwise, it's just evaporation which is slow this time of year. But rain or lack of it can push that date around. But your roots also aren't deep yet so the new area will stay squishy longer than other soil. But soon enough you'll be watering because its so dry.

Even if you don't water normally, I'd recommend watering some as needed this summer for the new grass. The roots are still shallow and if it goes dormant this summer, it may not come back. But nothing more fall seeding can't fix.
I'm going to try and add onto my decking in the shallow area. I'll definitely spray it down this summer.

Mud does suck but a little straw will definitely help get u thru & another reseed before long. Soon u will have lush green & a gorgeous sparkly oasis to stare out at 🤩& the mud will be a distant memory.
Oh.. What were those fast growing plants u put for privacy called? I wanna try to get some.

Mud does suck but a little straw will definitely help get u thru & another reseed before long. Soon u will have lush green & a gorgeous sparkly oasis to stare out at 🤩& the mud will be a distant memory.
Oh.. What were those fast growing plants u put for privacy called? I wanna try to get some.
Those are Thuja Green Giants. The ones I planted at 12" tall in September of 2020 are now up to my hips.

I just bought this today. Its more than enough for me n baby girl to relax on while we bond. I am excited to get it put together. It's been bitter sweet for me. I think I'll cry when I get to swim in it for the first time. He was supposed to be here with me to enjoy it and watch her play. 😭 I can't help but tear up when I think about all I have, after all we've been through n now I'm here by myself. It's absolutely heart breaking at times. I don't know how I'm getting through it but I am. I guess it's a little therapy shopping. I know I've posted these loungers before. Just adding them. I fixed up the front porch a little too. I think I need a nice colorful rug under the table n sitting areas.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220224-134301_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220224-134301_Chrome.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20220224-134546_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220224-134546_Chrome.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220223_154354.jpg
    20220223_154354.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220223_154400.jpg
    20220223_154400.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220223_154406.jpg
    20220223_154406.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20220211-165035_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220211-165035_Chrome.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 57

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.