DonnieTheMan

Apr 3, 2021
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Can’t get this to water to clear up. I ran my pool through the winter (Houston area) and would periodically brush and vacuum and just kept chlorine tablets in the floater.

About 2 weeks ago, it started turning green. So I brushed it good and added half a gallon of liquid chlorine. Pulled the filter and rinsed it out and replaced. 3 days later, it was still green so I added another half gallon of liquid chlorine. That didn’t work either. So I ordered more Taylor supplies and tested Sunday.

FC was 12, PH was well below 7.0, TA was 20, and CYA was well over 100.

Retested yesterday morning and FC was 8 and TA was still 20. I put my results in the pool calculator and added 5lbs 10oz of baking soda to bring it up to 80. I also started aerating the water.

This morning, pool is still a mint green. FC 6, TA 80, PH 7.0 (still aerating) CYA over 100.

Would the high CYA cause the pool to remain green? I don’t know what else to try.

Attachments

• B65CD6A3-258A-4EA3-9BE8-DECDCB1CF260.jpeg
    B65CD6A3-258A-4EA3-9BE8-DECDCB1CF260.jpeg
    519.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 421A843B-B03F-48C4-85A4-F6B78D6A7883.jpeg
    421A843B-B03F-48C4-85A4-F6B78D6A7883.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 20
CYA cause the pool to remain green?
Yes. You cannot get enough FC in the water to kill the algae at a CYA above 100.

You will need to do a CYA dilution to test for values over 100.
Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
Add tap water to top of sticker.
Shake.
Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
Add reagent to top of sticker.
Shake.
Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
Double the result.

Then, the only way to get the CYA out is to replace water.

If your CYA is 150, replacing 50% of the water will get you to 75.

Until you can exchange the water and get your CYA down, add 1/2 a gallon of LC a day. You don't have to measure/be exact, pour 1/2 a gallon in over a return jet slowly, then brush. This will help keep it from getting worse.

Don't add any other stuff like floc, clarifier, etc. Will only make it worse.

When you get your CYA down, follow the SLAM process: SLAM Process

We got you!! We can get you here: How Clear is TFP Clear? Let's See (Pics Please).

Not real clear on this. How much water?
Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
Add tap water to top of sticker.
Shake.
Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
Add reagent to top of sticker.

Not real clear on this. How much water?
Make a bottle with half pool water and half tap water. (To the bottom of the sticker on the first part, then to the top of the sticker on the second part). Do the hokie pokie to mix it.

Dump half of the mix to the bottom of the sticker on the bottle.

Fill to top of sticker with CYA reagent and hokie pokie a 2nd time.

Measure in sight tube thingy and multiply reading by 2. A 'diluted 70' is 140, for example.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Make a bottle with half pool water and half tap water. (To the bottom of the sticker on the first part, then to the top of the sticker on the second part). Do the hokie pokie to mix it.

Dump half of the mix to the bottom of the sticker on the bottle.

Fill to top of sticker with CYA reagent and hokie pokie a 2nd time.

Measure in sight tube thingy and multiply reading by 2. A 'diluted 70' is 140, for example.
This “sticker” y’all talking about the dot in the bottom of the sight tube?

Unfortunately it drains and even % with volume. Half of your pool drained and filled with 0 CYA fill water would bring you down to 80 or 90 CYA

Draining 2/3 would bring you down to about 50 and be more manageable going forward.

Read this link below and see which draining method is your best option. Draining - Further Reading

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately it drains and even % with volume. Half of your pool drained and filled with 0 CYA fill water would bring you down to 80 or 90 CYA

Draining 2/3 would bring you down to about 50 and be more manageable going forward.

Read this link below and see which draining method is your best option. Draining - Further Reading
Guess I’ll be draining about 2/3 then. I have to just hook the water hose onto one of the drain plugs and drain it into my flush out drain. Wonder how long this will take going through a 100ft water hose lol

Depends on the flow rate of the hose.
Draining 4,300 gallons.
@ 1 gal/min 71 hours
@ 2 gal/min 35.5 hours
@ 3 gal/min 24 hours.
You get the idea.
Once you get the water flowing, time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket.
Or measure the depth of the water, divide by 3. Anchor the hose end at this depth from the bottom. Let it run until it stops.

Reactions: DonnieTheMan
Depends on the flow rate of the hose.
Draining 4,300 gallons.
@ 1 gal/min 71 hours
@ 2 gal/min 35.5 hours
@ 3 gal/min 24 hours.
You get the idea.
Once you get the water flowing, time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket.
Or measure the depth of the water, divide by 3. Anchor the hose end at this depth from the bottom. Let it run until it stops.
Riddle me this if you can. When I hook the hose up to the drain connector for the pool, no water comes out. If I unscrew the hose from the connector, water flows. If I hook the hose back up on the water spigot on the house, works fine. I can even siphon water through the hose.

Riddle me this if you can. When I hook the hose up to the drain connector for the pool, no water comes out. If I unscrew the hose from the connector, water flows. If I hook the hose back up on the water spigot on the house, works fine. I can even siphon water through the hose.
Oooooooooooh I LOVE these. You are an egg !!! No ? Rats.

You are holding the drain end of the hose higher than the pool water level so it won't drain due to gravity. Lay it down and it will flow.

Oooooooooooh I LOVE these. You are an egg !!! No ? Rats.

You are holding the drain end of the hose higher than the pool water level so it won't drain due to gravity. Lay it down and it will flow.
The water drain is on the bottom edge of the pool….the water is well above the drain and the hose. The hose is literally laying on the ground when hooked up on the drain. I ended up just having to siphon the water through the hose and anchor the hose down inside the pool

Reactions: Newdude
I ended up just having to siphon the water through the hose and anchor the hose down inside the pool
Maybe it was kinked just right (wrong?) as it layed originally and when you tested it on the house it laid straight. 🤷‍♂️

Glad you got it flowing.

Maybe it was kinked just right (wrong?) as it layed originally and when you tested it on the house it laid straight. 🤷‍♂️

Glad you got it flowing.
I checked that too. No kinks whatsoever unless something is going on inside the hose. I wish I had another hose to try to solve the mystery lol. I thought about buying another one, but I’ll just wait. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Newdude
You would be best served by buying or renting a sump pump to drain. Place the sump pump in a bucket, then place the bucket/sump pump combo on the pool floor. The bucket protects the liner.

HD rents sump pumps by the 1/2 day and full day - and usually will supply a 1.5" or 2" drain hose with it.

If water is cheap, I'd drain all but the last foot of water from the pool and replace with fresh water.

As for the hose, can you hook it up to a hose spigot and see if water flows out of it?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.