I'm gonna tile my whole gunite pool.

Following. We're both in STL. When you're done with yours you can come help me with mine! lol
Haha I promise when this is done I will likely never tile anything again! But you know with only 2 companies in STL doing plaster for like 35k each application!!! Tile is cheaper than even plaster here if you're a professional tile setter. It would be hard to spend 35k doing it yourself with tile.

We need to live in the south where it's like 15k max and they're done in 3 weeks!

• Haha
Reactions: STLhybrid
Yeah, I definitely want to see how you approach this. Any time I have tiled an existing pool that wasn't built with tile in mind, it is the coves and radii that take a ton of prep and planning to get the tile to fall right.

2x2 or 1x1, I would just say get tile with offset grout joints. I feel like it is impossible to keep the grout joints in line when you have a radius to a decreasing slope. It looks like nothing is really square in your pool.

Haha I promise when this is done I will likely never tile anything again! But you know with only 2 companies in STL doing plaster for like 35k each application!!! Tile is cheaper than even plaster here if you're a professional tile setter. It would be hard to spend 35k doing it yourself with tile.

We need to live in the south where it's like 15k max and they're done in 3 weeks!
I hear you on alll of this. Do you have progress pics yet?

Yeah, I definitely want to see how you approach this. Any time I have tiled an existing pool that wasn't built with tile in mind, it is the coves and radii that take a ton of prep and planning to get the tile to fall right.

2x2 or 1x1, I would just say get tile with offset grout joints. I feel like it is impossible to keep the grout joints in line when you have a radius to a decreasing slope. It looks like nothing is really square in your pool.
We've done a lot of research on the cuts specifically, though you can plan your corners and bowl until you're blue and it won't mean you're not redoing that whole plan in real time when it comes to the doing. But it's certainly been at the front of my planning because that will make or break the install. I've gotten lots of advice from tilers globally and I have plenty of tricks up my sleeves for the rounding out without looking insane in the corners or unevenly cut or sharper curve areas.

It's a big part of why we went with the 2x2, I found that the lines looked a bit better to my aesthetic, and for sheeting up the custom cuts, when you had thinner slivers instead of chips, either way no one I'm sure will envy polishing the edges of all these glass cuts and it will be a logistical nightmare. I am just hoping to complete in 10 days 🙏🏻

I hear you on alll of this. Do you have progress pics yet?
Not until the spring. They've gotta blast and replumb the shell, and since that's the pros we're really just at their mercy for when they have time, being a small fraction of the usual full reno they provide, I doubt we'll be priority this season.

But as this pool is lacking a main drain 😅 (the former owners were full of charm let me tell you, some of these creative choices they made) we have to have that hydrostatic valve put in before anything else can be done so we don't pop it trying to renovate it.

And of course planning a tile job this size will take me months more, I just needed opinions from pool tilers outside my state, about materials choices, since no one locally is really doing this work to speak on materials or longevity

Reactions: STLhybrid
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.