Gallatin, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hello all you wonderful TFPers! We are back in the pool game! We just put a contract in on a house with a pool after having lived without one for a couple years (down in Florida). The new pool has a vinyl liner (vs. our previous gunite pool). Also, looks like a sand filter and a single speed pump. The salt cell is also a Perma Salt System. Older equipment, so probably will replace with variable speed, cartridge filter, and new salt cell. Going to be buying my test kit soon. Cannot wait to be swimming in our own pool again!

Last edited:
Get rid of the one speed pump and the perma salt system. That's a copper system and not a true SWG.

Good luck on your new pool

Thanks for the warning!
FYI -- Permasalt has nothing to do with salt. It is a Copper Ionizer. You will want to disable and remove that immediately. Also may want to do a large water exchange to get the copper out. Then install a SaltWater Chlorine Generator.

I just looked up the Perma Salt system. OH MY DOG! This is the type of thing I have been steering people away from. IC40 or IC60 needs to be ordered!

Also, it really grinds my gears that it uses "salt" in its name, since it's first two features are:
  • Is not a Salt Generator
  • Does Not Convert Salt into Chlorine
So much for moving in and SLAMing. Oh well, I knew it would not be smooth.

Guess I'll head on down to the pool store and see what products they recommend! (JK)

Last edited:
Guess I'll head on down to the pool store and see what products they recommend! (JK)
full

UPDATE:

Installed a new filter (old one was sand and leaking) and a SWG (IC-60).

Luckily, the previous owner had disconnected the Perma-Salt system and was using liquid chlorine. I talked with him and he was actually a TFPer! He showed me his TFTestKit.

I had the water tested for copper and there was none registered. Store was unsure if it was free copper or total copper.

Now I just need a Pentair Intelliflo VS pump to be in stock somewhere (on the waiting list at PolyTec pools).

Next, need to raise the electric panel and timer to a more manageable height.

Attachments

• 9FBA0C86-D0A3-49A6-86BA-1D48B758F620.jpeg
    9FBA0C86-D0A3-49A6-86BA-1D48B758F620.jpeg
    739.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 4A2F2AF4-3BC9-410D-BF16-BF6FF426CC04.jpeg
    4A2F2AF4-3BC9-410D-BF16-BF6FF426CC04.jpeg
    705.3 KB · Views: 36
You must have resized those photos as I can not zoom in. Do you have automation? If not, you might consider the Pentair Whisperflo VST. Polytec has those in stock.

Reactions: guinness
You must have resized those photos as I can not zoom in. Do you have automation? If not, you might consider the Pentair Whisperflo VST. Polytec has those in stock.
I reuploaded larger photos. I do not have automation, but I may do in the future. I will look into the whisper flow.

Thanks. You will have some plumbing work I suspect. Suction side may be a challenge. Might be a good time to upgrade the valves.

Thanks. You will have some plumbing work I suspect. Suction side may be a challenge. Might be a good time to upgrade the valves.
I do want to upgrade the valves. But what do you mean my suction side challenge? Is there a concern with the new pump suction lining up with the current piping?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The current pump union is butted right into a coupler into a 4 way connector. No free pipe available. If you get lucky, the union half might fit into the pump union used on the Pentair. But we all know Pentair and Hayward love proprietary connections. Again, might all work out, just be prepared to check before final fit and glue.

This is how I plan on piping it once I can get a pump installed. Replacing the valves with Jandy type serviceable valves.

Attachments

• pool.JPG
    pool.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 11
It looks like the difference in the Intelliflo and the Whisperflo is 3HP vs. 2.6HP. Anything else you could educate me on?

No real difference. I have not checked THP of the Whisper Flo. It connects to automation via a cord. I do believe you have to buy the cord separately. Check with the supplier.

Finally got around to installing new pump and inlet valves. What a difference! Much quieter pump and using way less energy. Old pump was running at 1.8kW and new pump I have dialed back to 1750rpm for 0.372kW. Figuring that should save me about $20 a month on electric. Next up is some sort of automation and replacing the outlet valves.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 5.12.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 5.12.09 AM.png
    789 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 5.12.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 5.12.23 AM.png
    742.3 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.