I'm a failure for father's day

Bille

Gold Supporter
Jul 30, 2018
Abingdon maryland
Hi guys,

I've been trying to get my pool working for fathers day and I feel like I'm failing.

I started yesterday and these were my first test numbers:
Chlorine- I skipped because I haven't put anything in the pool in over a year.
Ch- 200
Ta- 80
Ph- 7.5
Cya - 0 - I filled the cya tube to the top and could still see the black dot.

First I added 3 pounds of stabilizer to bring the CYA up to 30. I put it in a sock in front of the return jet yesterday afternoon. The sock is now empty but I just checked my CYA and even at 20, the black dot is barley visible but I can see it. The weird thing is this morning I could have sworn it was 25 but two tests tonight at 20 I can see the dot.

I started slam yesterday as well with 12 FC as my target based on a 30 CYA.

My testing numbers so far are:
Day1
7pm - 8 FC -- I added 81oz
9pm - 10 FC -- I added 39oz
11pm - 10 FC -- I added 39oz

Day2
9am - 5.5 FC -- I added 128oz
11:30am - 10 FC -- added 3 cups
1:00pm - 10 FC -- added 3 cups
3:00pm - 8FC -- added 79oz
4:45pm - 10 FC -- added 39 oz
6:00pm - 11 FC - Haven't added anything yet, this is where I am.

Also, since I've started, the pool has this white stuff everywhere, looks like spit. I took a picture:
poo.jpg

So now I'm sitting here about to open a bottle and give up. Some weirdness I've noticed:

1. The cya appeared to be 25 this morning and now I can see the black dot just hardly at 20
2. Twice I've done two FC tests on the same water and gotten different reads, off my 1-2 drops, I don't think my kit is bad, I just got the tf-100 refill yesterday.

Where do I go from here please?

Also, the pressure on the filter is getting up there but I'm scared to swap it out because I might lose my cya that is probably why the pressure is up. I can see the water moving (more so with all the white stuff) so I guess its ok

Hey Billi - It can be a few days for CYA to fully dissolve and register. I would consider it a CYA of 30 and continue with the SLAM.

Just to make sure you are not expecting it to be clear by Father's Day, as it will certainly not be clear by then.

I see lots of debris on the 1st step, and suspect there is more that you cannot see. I would vacuum all of that up so that your chlorine is not doing dual duty in trying to fight algae and leaves/debris. If you do all of that, follow the SLAM process religiously, you have an outside shot at it being swim ready next weekend. Good luck and enjoy your fathers day.

Reactions: IceShadow
You don’t need to worry about the filter with the sock method. It’s in the water. People who dump CYA in the skimmer need to worry about cleaning it. Anyway you want to backwash or you’re not getting enough flow. It can take a couple of days to register after adding it.

Hey Billi - It can be a few days for CYA to fully dissolve and register. I would consider it a CYA of 30 and continue with the SLAM.

Just to make sure you are not expecting it to be clear by Father's Day, as it will certainly not be clear by then.

I see lots of debris on the 1st step, and suspect there is more that you cannot see. I would vacuum all of that up so that your chlorine is not doing dual duty in trying to fight algae and leaves/debris. If you do all of that, follow the SLAM process religiously, you have an outside shot at it being swim ready next weekend. Good luck and enjoy your fathers day.

That's not debris on the step, it's a stain. It's an old pool. I rent, just trying to enjoy one last summer with a pool before I move.

I'll keep working on it. Thanks for the reply.

On other thing I'd note is I'm not sure of the gallons. Last year I based it on 15.5k gallons but this year we tried remeasuring and my buddy thinks it's more like 12k so I changed it to 12 in the app. Not sure if that's messing anything up.

This doesn't help your situation any but I gave up and went to Costco and bought the chlorine tabs /shock by Clorox and said F it most people have decent pools and they use this I'll just settle. I couldn't settle, after 5 days I returned them and got serious about tfp method. 1 week later my pool went from cloudy couldn't see 2 ft down to being able to see the side of a coin. Trust this site, they know what's up.

So I don't want to vac it right now because my vac goes right into the filter and if it gets too clogged I'm scared I'll have to swap it and lose my CYA that's still desolving.

But I did just drag the net and pulled up a ton of leaves and brown stuff. My 13 year old son lied when he said he already cleaned it so now he is out there scooping up tons of leaves from the bottom.

But that has me worried to, the water is turning brown and my filter just went into the red on the gauge. Is it ok to swap the filter or no because of the cya added yesterday?

pool2.jpg

Reactions: mac1911
Yes. The CYA is already dissolved if you use the sock method.

What chlorine are you using? That looks like foam from an additive they put in household bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, that’s causing the foaming. It won’t hurt the pool and it will stop when you can get your hands on some regular liquid chlorine. I thought I heard Ollie’s was a good place in Maryland for it?

Reactions: setsailsoon
Reactions: GDN
If your not on well water and you really want to swim 2moro go get a decent sump pump and pump it out. Northeast hasn't seen rains lately. Clean it when its shallow enough to stand in it with a hose washing amd brushing the sides amd get all the crud off the bottom. Then start refilling off of as many hoses as you can run from multiple sources. 12k will fill in less than 24hrs

Reactions: Bille and markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.