Milwaukee, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Going to need to change out the liner on this pool at a house we just bought. It's old, and I tore through it just by hitting it too hard with the plastic end of my brush. I'm going to be sourcing out a company to replace it.

What sort of qualifications should I be looking for? What do I watch out for when getting bids? All I have to go on right now is reviews on Google and such, so it'd be good to know if there are any red flags I need to watch out for that I may not otherwise notice. Thanks for any advice!

Got two quotes so far.

Option 1) Up to 30mil Latham (Kafko) Ultra-Seam Vinyl Liner, includes small repairs up to 1 bag of vermiculite, one year warranty on installation. Doesn't say if any water is included (we could fill ourselves but I imagine they don't want to wait to do the install for several days while we fill). This quote came blind, no one went to the site.

Option 2) Costs about 25% more. This replacement company did visit the site. Additional cost for 27mil or thicker liner. No repairs included. Does include three loads of water, new gaskets and faceplates, not sure if the other one did. Says it has a 5-year warranty. Includes pressure test of plumbing lines.

Sounds like option 2 has a lot more cost but is a lot more inclusive (except for liner thickness). Not sure how much of the extra stuff is necessary.

You DO need the new gaskets. Not sure about the faceplate. How does your old one look?

I do like the idea of the pressure testing of the lines.

I wonder if you could play one against the other.......as in "Hey this guy said he would do xxx. Will you do that also?"

Kim:kim:

I was also considering asking if they’d give me a discount if I did my own draining and perhaps removal.

Also some of the water - I know they need to truck in some to get it filled quickly so they’re not sitting around, but when it’s ready for the final fill, I could do the chems and fill from my tap, which is cheap. But they may not warranty it if they can’t test the mechanicals after completion....

Think through how you will get rid of the old liner. What we did was cut it into many "Kim sized" pieces so I could put some of it in the garbage can each week. Did not cost me any extra but did take some time to get it all gone.

Water fill-tell them to tell you when to call them. They can mark it with tape or something that will not leave a mark.

Very good ideas to save you some $$!

Kim:kim:

"Sure, we'll give you a 5% discount for doing half the work yourself!"

;)
Not much work to run my pump to waste with a vacuum at the bottom of the pool. Removing the liner sure, but 5% savings is 5% savings. I have a pool robot to save for ;D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes you and me both, The guy I got the house from paid to have it installed and it was wrong so... Here even hiring it done your taking a chance and I have no idea what pool company he went threw but the liner lasted less then one season, The diag corners on mine are a big triangle and the liner was made so the small end was at the top, should of been the bottom, causing the liner to be to tight at the top and loose at the bottom, pulling on the return lines and ripping. best of luck to you btw.

The liner thickness is personal choice. In colder off season weather a 30mil is a real pain to install. 20 is better for that. The thicker liner holds up better to pebbles stuff in the pool etc. Moat say dont waste your money. But myself, I have a 30 mil and wouldnt ever get thinner, it's very little cost difference to me wholesale

We decided to go with a company that offers a 30-day warranty for install and a 27-mil liner. They said they’d pressure test the lines while they’re there. They do minor repairs as well, and will take a couple hundred dollars off the cost if we drain and cut out the old liner ourselves. Calling them today to let them know.

Installer uses Hydra Pools liners. I will have to check out the liner thread with photos to see what options people can show so we can have an idea of what they look like with water in :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.