IG pool, does anyone paint/coat Steel walls

Tbwonder

Gold Supporter
Feb 14, 2020
New York
About to start my own IG installation. Using kit from PW.
Does anyone recommend/not recommend spraying or coating on the steel walls once installed and before installing the collar and liner.

My thought is, while the zinc coating is good...all the punch outs and holes are weak points as is damage to the coating just from installation.
Could spray an inhibitor or POR15 or something.

just a though and wondering if I’m overthinking or if this is actually reasonable.

thanks all.

Welcome to TFP!

Would not be a bad idea to protect the steel, but you need to be very careful about any material that will be in contact with the liner. It could bleed into the liner and discolor it or even damage it.

I don’t know that either of the above will happen, I just worry that it could. I’d think something like POR-15 that cures completely might be okay and you can get it in white.

Welcome to TFP!

Would not be a bad idea to protect the steel, but you need to be very careful about any material that will be in contact with the liner. It could bleed into the liner and discolor it or even damage it.

I don’t know that either of the above will happen, I just worry that it could. I’d think something like POR-15 that cures completely might be okay and you can get it in white.

Thanks. Trying to figure what to use best. Seem to be settling in on hitting the outside of the walls (that will be backfired) with an asphalt based coating similar to what would be used to coat foundation walls before backfilling. Alternative is truck Bed liner.

For the interior, in thinking about what you said regarding the liner, a coat of rustoleum or por15 maybe. Could use a truck bed liner product too.

many other input or thoughts?
Anyone?

They sell a high end panel that is actually coated from factory. Its pricey. I see 30+ yo steel wall pools that are good overall still. There are still wood frames pools out there alive. With the amount of work your about to do on a pool kit I wouldnt bother. Theres so much else to worry about and get done. A DIY job is alot of work double what it takes a pool guy to do

Reactions: Tbwonder
They sell a high end panel that is actually coated from factory. Its pricey. I see 30+ yo steel wall pools that are good overall still. There are still wood frames pools out there alive. With the amount of work your about to do on a pool kit I wouldnt bother. Theres so much else to worry about and get done. A DIY job is alot of work double what it takes a pool guy to do

Thanks for that perspective. I could do without adding a complicating step. I have the 14 g panels and added the extra ZAM coating.

Found a guy a like to do the digging and backfilling...so it will alleviate that part.

With the digging off my shoulders...what’s the heaviest lift in the project?

thanks again for your input!

Theres alot of hard parts. Digging the hole right is crucial to save days of fixing on the backend. Setting the panels is a 2 go 3 person job. The pool base is alot of work. Plumbing and electrical takes time. The pool itself is the easy part. The backfill base coping and decking take longer and you see it all so it counts more

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.