mkmscr

Mar 1, 2013
Charlotte, USA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Living in North Carolina most people leave their pools open year round as I understand it. I have two water features I’m a little concerned with

1) is a 3’ sheet descent.
2) is a 12’ negative (infinity) edge that spills over into a smaller pool. The PB told me to keep them on their normal circulation schedules and they should be fine. Basically do nothing. Freeze protection will engage the pumps when freezing temps arrive.

Also I’m unclear if I should remove the salt cell and dose chlorine manually during the colder months.

I’m thinking I’d like to close the smaller pool (catch basin) but I can’t see how I’ll stop water from spilling over once the larger pool area fills up. I was thinking sandbags on the negative edge ledge.I mostly worries about water going over the ledge, freezing and causing damage from the thermal cycling. Just not sure what the recommendations would be.
The sheer descent I can blow out and make sure the valve doesn’t engage to keep water out of it until the spring.

Thoughts how to keep this going or which parts I should close and how?

Thank you. Mike

You don't need to remove the salt cell but it will stop generating around 60F. You should turn the SWG off and chlorinate with liquid chlorine until the spring.

Blowing out the sheer descent makes sense if you can ensure the valve stays closed.

I would leave water circulating through the catch basin and let the freeze protection of your pool protect it.

You don't need to remove the salt cell but it will stop generating around 60F. You should turn the SWG off and chlorinate with liquid chlorine until the spring.

Blowing out the sheer descent makes sense if you can ensure the valve stays closed.

I would leave water circulating through the catch basin and let the freeze protection of your pool protect it.

Thanks. I can definitely ensure the valve for the sheer will stay closed. Trying to think how I’d blow it out. I see the Jandy actuator valve on top. I’m assuming if I unbolt actuator valve assembly from the plumbing body I can access the pipe and blow it out that way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 6
. I’m assuming if I unbolt actuator valve assembly from the plumbing body I can access the pipe and blow it out that way.

Unscrew the nut holding the handle down; remove the handle; remove the 4 screws that hold the actuator down; then you can remove the screws to open the valve.

If you open the valve you should get new O rings and Pool Lube to ensure no leaks in the spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.