If you have time and wouldn't mind reviewing my build :)

B.lu

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Oct 16, 2020
New England
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My pool is under construction. I have made a few threads lately and am very grateful for the feedback. I'm at the gunite phase and the builder is stopping until the Spring. I stalk old and new posts frequently and have learned so much. Until reading, there were things I didn't think I wanted for my pool and other things I didn't know existed. I feel overwhelmed that it is too late to add certain things now that I could have easily done earlier in the process. That being said, I wonder if there are things I could still consider at this stage and hoped to have some people review my details. This will be photo heavy. The pool ended up having to be farther to the left (toward property line) than what is depicted in the drawing. My septic system and leach field took up a lot of yard!

Things I think I'm too late to change but sort of wish I could:
Lights (I only have electrical and the space built into the gunite for one at the deep end)
I read someone mention something about a light over the controls where the pumps/heater, etc is. Do I want this? Does it take more power than I have
Skimmer (I am going to have one, reading the threads, it sounds like you all recommend two. I also have no idea which way the wind blows ???)

Things I need information on and might not be too late for:
Automation (would this be helpful? I like the idea of being able to turn the heater on remotely, unless Im misunderstanding what automation is all about).Does my electrical plan support this?
Extend the paver area by a couple of feet on the 2 smaller sides of the perimeter (the ground has been built up already to the graded level, just waiting for pavers): Should I consider having 2 feet of something on perimeter that is not perimeter, particularly on the left side of pool where there will only be like 3ft of pavers. ?rocks, ?mulch, don't want to weed this area. Too expensive now to add?
Shrub removal- I am a fool and didn't have those shrubs removed between the edge of the deck and pool because I thought I wanted to keep them. It would have been so easy to have them rip them up. Now I'll have to hire someone in to do it.

Wish List to be rolled out over the next couple of years:

Robot cleaner (I'll definitely get this on earlier side)
New deck furniture, table, etc... this will be on the wrap around deck. The main eating area
Lounge chairs and pool storage for inside fenced area with pool. Probably smaller table and umbrella in here.
Outdoor shower
Fire pit (outside fenced area)
Basket ball hoop? Get my husband sort of excited for the pool

Thanks so much!!!

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 7.41.15 AM.png 20201210_081247.jpg

20210106_072624.jpgScreen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.57.31 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.57.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.48.32 AM.png

B,

The main thing that I would do, is to ditch your single-speed pump.. I suggest that you go with either a large VS pump or a 2-speed pump. Since you have saltwater (SWCG) pool, you will have to run your pump longer so that the cell can produce the amount of chlorine your pool will need. Single speed pumps are energy hogs.. You will spend more in a few days of pool use, than I spend in a whole month..

If you decide not to get automation, then I would go with a 2-speed pump.. If you decide that you want automation, then I would go with a large VS pump that the automation can control.

You do not "need" automation. Kind of like a key FOB for your car or power windows.. Are they really needed? No, but how many cars come without them.

An equipment pad light is well worth the little it will cost to install.. In my area it is a requirement..

Thanks,

Jim R.

B,

The main thing that I would do, is to ditch your single-speed pump.. I suggest that you go with either a large VS pump or a 2-speed pump. Since you have saltwater (SWCG) pool, you will have to run your pump longer so that the cell can produce the amount of chlorine your pool will need. Single speed pumps are energy hogs.. You will spend more in a few days of pool use, than I spend in a whole month..

If you decide not to get automation, then I would go with a 2-speed pump.. If you decide that you want automation, then I would go with a large VS pump that the automation can control.

You do not "need" automation. Kind of like a key FOB for your car or power windows.. Are they really needed? No, but how many cars come without them.

An equipment pad light is well worth the little it will cost to install.. In my area it is a requirement..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim! I just emailed the electrician about the equipment pad light! I'll change to one of the pumps you suggested too. Just have to do a bit more research about whether or not I want the automation :) I really appreciate it!

Since you want a shower in the future, are there things you can do to help make those projects easier in the future?

For mine, I knew I wanted a future outdoor shower and fire pit as well. For the shower, I had them add a deck drain to the decking that now is the shower drain, as well as an extra faucet that now feeds the shower. That made adding the shower a much easier step.
I also added conduit under my decking, one for a gas line to the fire pit area and another from the house to the back of the pool in case I ever needed to run speakers or electrical to that area. I havent done anything with the conduit yet, but it was easy to do during construction and gives me a lot of flexibility now.

A basic automation may be needed considering where your equipment pad is located with regard to your home.
Automation can do the following things that are more of a convenience.
  1. Turn your pool light on and off
  2. Program your pool pump to run at different times and/or different speeds (assume you will install the recommended variable speed pump)
  3. Turn your heater on and off (can program it for set times as well if that is desired) & temperature desired
  4. Program your Polaris cleaner to run at certain times.

I have an older model Jandy AquaLink with a handheld controller that links wireless to the controller at the equipment pad.
The new models now set up an app for your phone. You could even run a hardwire controller to your home where a panel is mounted on your wall.
Look at Jandy | AquaLink RS
This is just one type of automation. Both Pentair and Hayward has similar models as well.
I think you find the convenience factor is worth the investment vs. walking out to your pool equipment pad when you want to adjust or turn on/off some something.

Reactions: B.lu
These ideas are great! Just what I was looking for. Thanks everyone. The shower is going to be at the opposite side of the back of the house, on the ground, away from the deck. There is a spigot there but a hot water line needs to be run. I'm envisioning a large enough shower enclosure with bench inside so people can change in there instead of always going into the house. I also want the shower to have a20210107_131929.jpg foot rinse part for the kids to use after the beach. We live in a beach town so some might question the need for a pool, with the ocean so close, but! I have 3 kids. It's not easy getting and staying at the beach

Reactions: mamaplanch
One suggestion, not about the pool. Maybe dont make a new thread for each set of questions. Have one build thread and keep adding to it so people can see the entire process of your build.

Reactions: B.lu
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.