If my CYA dropped mid-slam, do I have a new SLAM CHLORINE GOAL?

Oregonpool214

Jul 2, 2020
Mid /Southern Oregon
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The saga continues .....
I‘m a few days into a SLAM from a tadpole oasis to (hopefully) a human oasis, and was seeing cya in the 50-60s. I finally got up to FC of 24 or so last night, but today, midday, had a cya level of ~20-30. Did some reading here and saw that sometimes cya can drop when chlorine gets high.... i haven’t done anything else to drop my cya (water exchange, rain, etc).
So, my question is..... do I now keep my SLAM FC level at my previous goal (when cya was 50), or can I now drop FC level to 16ish, as recommended by poolmath?
see my logs for details. My pool is still cloudy, but blue, and making some small progress in clarity each day. OCLT are not there yet. I’m trying to keep my POP up, but mannnn it’s hard.

Reactions: Michmatt248
Were you testing the CYA uniformly all the time such as in the same light.....otherwise you can't control the outcome.
Yes, my technique is combine water and Reagan’s, wait 30secs, then shake 30secs, hold at waist level with back to sun, add some, look away, add more, look away, etc. I was concerned initially that maybe my cloudy pool water was making my results high at 50 or 60, but posted here to verify, got some suggestions, and settled on thinking it was that number. Then, all the sudden today, very different results. I tested 2x today at first, then again later this evening to be sure I didn’t mess something up. Same reagant, nothing new between the varied results.

Is your pool water clearer today than when you ran the previous tests with the CYA 60 readings? If it is, I'd say stick to your current reading and trust it. Run the same sample back and forth 2 or 3 times so you get a consensus and continue the SLAM from their with the new FC number based on your current CYA reading.

Reactions: magiteck
Is your pool water clearer today than when you ran the previous tests with the CYA 60 readings? If it is, I'd say stick to your current reading and trust it. Run the same sample back and forth 2 or 3 times so you get a consensus and continue the SLAM from their with the new FC number based on your current CYA reading.
Yes, I've been making small progress in clarity .... I'll test CYA again this am after I get more reagent (been BLOWING through reagents, good gravy, even using 10ml samples where I can). Initially, I was concerned that my foggy water was affecting reading, but, at someone's advice, I used just pool water in cylinder and didn't see any hazyness of the dot at that point. Weird!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.