If my CYA ain’t broke, why fix it?

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
I do my best to follow all of the advice here, and it has paid off – only one SLAM in four years! But now I want some more info before going ahead.

The Chlorine/CYA chart recommends 70 CYA for a target FC of 5. My CYA has been in the 40-45 range all summer, though, and my chlorine level has not dropped. If anything, I have a little trouble keeping it down.

My SWG (T-15 cell) right now is set to 25% and the pump runs on low speed for four hours in the afternoon and four hours overnight. FC was 4.5 seventeen days ago, 5.0 eight days ago, and 7.0 two days ago. There have been plenty of bright sunny days in that time, and my pool gets direct sun about 6-7 hours a day. I cover the pool every night.

With all of that, why should I increase the CYA to the recommended level of 70?

Here’s my latest numbers:

FC 7
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 60
CH 275
CYA 40
Salt 3000
Temp 86°
CSI -0.32

No need to. You might be able to run your SWCG at a lower setting if you raised the CYA, but, if you are happy in the place you are, keep it there.

- - - Updated - - -

Just ran the numbers. Your FC loss per day is 0.6. I see you have a cover. That changes the game on CYA. Only time you need to be concerned is when you have the cover open all day. Your FC loss will be much greater.

TFP has guidelines and they work for most pools, but the bottom line is that TFP is all about knowing what your pool needs when it needs it. You know what your pool needs! If you are satisfied I wouldn't change a thing!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.