If liquid chlorine freezes then thaws, does it lose effectiveness?

hepmama

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Sep 12, 2015
Dallas TX
I'm in Texas and need to get more liquid chlorine. I usually buy the 10% stuff at Home Depot. They store it outside in the garden center. If it froze for awhile this past week, is it okay to buy and use? Will it still be effective? I've searched but cannot find the answer to this question.

I wouldnt think it would freeze, but the walmarts here are all fully stocked with fresh liquid chlorine that is not stored outside.

Reactions: hepmama
While you should be fine, I'd avoid buying a large amount of it. As explained in this post the freezing point of bleach isn't far from what your area saw this last week. I personally suspect buying a few gallons will be just fine, but I wouldn't stock-up just yet.

Reactions: hepmama
While you should be fine, I'd avoid buying a large amount of it. As explained in this post the freezing point of bleach isn't far from what your area saw this last week. I personally suspect buying a few gallons will be just fine, but I wouldn't stock-up just yet.
I saw that post and honestly my eyes glazed over LOL and I still couldn’t tell if freezing impacts the effectiveness. I usually only buy the three pack at one time so no worries about stocking up. I just used my last gallon last week and need more. Thanks for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.