If I’m Not Closing The Pool This Winter…

caseyrichards

Gold Supporter
Jul 14, 2021
Berkeley Lake, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
…then should I still continue to run my pump 24/7 like I currently do? It’s a VS so I already keep it low (around 1850 RPMs) all the time to skim the pool and circulate the water. I would think I’d want that to continue even in the winter as we get a ton of falling leaves. Thoughts?

…then should I still continue to run my pump 24/7 like I currently do? It’s a VS so I already keep it low (around 1850 RPMs) all the time to skim the pool and circulate the water. I would think I’d want that to continue even in the winter as we get a ton of falling leaves. Thoughts?
That’s what I do. I run it below 1400 or 1300 rpm, just enough to keep water flowing though the pipes. I put one chlorine tab in a floater(I go though about 3 or 4 of those a winter) I put the safety cover on the pool for the fall. I dump several pounds of baking soda in the pool to get the TA up and take out my salt cell and replace it with a dummy cell.

That’s what I do. I run it below 1400 or 1300 rpm, just enough to keep water flowing though the pipes. I put one chlorine tab in a floater(I go though about 3 or 4 of those a winter) I put the safety cover on the pool for the fall. I dump several pounds of baking soda in the pool to get the TA up and take out my salt cell and replace it with a dummy cell.
Good to hear. Although I don’t plan to put the cover on at all this year as I like the water feature especially when lit up at night. We covered and closed last year and it really changed the look of the back yard. I’ll maybe try dropping RPMs down even lower I’m just worried that with all the leaves we get here in the fall/winter the skimmer will actually need to be working on overdrive so I may need to keep the speeds up after all. We’ll see. And I may just keep using the inline chlorinator with a few pucks and just keep checking levels.

I’m just worried that with all the leaves we get here in the fall/winter the skimmer will actually need to be working on overdrive so I may need to keep the speeds up after all.
That’s the only reason why I put the cover on in the fall. I have a large oak tree that dumps a ton of leaves. Much easier to blow them off the cover with a leaf blower then to get them out of the pool.

The largest thing we’re greatly stressing is to have a plan B and develop that plan now. Your plan of leaving the pump running is a solid plan HOWEVER spend an hour or so now learning your system. Learn how to drain the equipment just in case some freak storm hits. Odds say you won’t need to know how to deal with freezing temps, but knowledge is free and will come in handy if worst case hits.

The largest thing we’re greatly stressing is to have a plan B and develop that plan now. Your plan of leaving the pump running is a solid plan HOWEVER spend an hour or so now learning your system. Learn how to drain the equipment just in case some freak storm hits. Odds say you won’t need to know how to deal with freezing temps, but knowledge is free and will come in handy if worst case hits.
Absolutely.

Following up on this as we’re getting closer to winter. At what point do you recommend I stop pouring liquid chlorine into the water? The FC level is still dropping but at a much slower rate than before because of less activity. With temperatures already dropping down now we may not even swim any more this year but do want to keep it open and uncovered. So is there a FC level I should bring it up to first then stop or do I still need to keep adding chlorine year round to prevent algae?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
r. At what point do you recommend I stop pouring liquid chlorine into the water?
When it tells you to. Daily tests will show little/no loss and turn into weekly tests with little/no loss……. Bi- weekly……. Then monthly. FC demand drops off a cliff at some point.
So is there a FC level I should bring it up to first then stop or do I still need to keep adding chlorine year round to prevent algae
If you overshoot your normal FC up to or most of SLAM, it will buy you a lot of time during the off season. It will tell you. Listen to it. (y)

When it tells you to. Daily tests will show little/no loss and turn into weekly tests with little/no loss……. Bi- weekly……. Then monthly. FC demand drops off a cliff at some point.

If you overshoot your normal FC up to or most of SLAM, it will buy you a lot of time during the off season. It will tell you. Listen to it. (y)
Thanks will do. I just wasn’t sure if I’m supposed to maintain the same recommended level from PoolMath that I’ve been using all summer even during the off season too? I know algae stops growing after temperatures drop down to a certain point so didn’t know if that changes the FC level recommendation or not? Would hate to waste more chlorine than is needed.

Do the same as you’ve been. The needed interval will increase greatly. The FC/CYA chart is still key. Never go to, or be close to minimum. Ever. Lol.

Your PH will likely go down at some point. Rain has a PH of about 5 and you won’t be aerating to help it rise Feel free to raise it when gets under 7. Once or maybe twice all winter. TA and CH won’t matter for the off season.

Would hate to waste more chlorine than is needed
Sorry I missed this one responding above. A gallon or two will last a month when it’s full blown winter. A super small price to pay for the piece of mind. Plus, a spring SLAM will waste a lot more than that. (y)

Reactions: caseyrichards
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.