Buckeye Az (Victory at Verrado)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
In another thread @KevMo said he could write a long post on lessons learned. That got me thinking of starting a thread on what people would do differently if they could do it all over. I know there are so many great resources on TFP like the pool school, wiki, and forums, that are based on lessons learned and experiences, it just seemed like folks sharing what they would change would be very interesting reading.

So... if you could do it all over again what would you do differently on your project? Hoping for both serious and entertaining responses.

To make your post immediately relatable, start your post with the job type (new build, resurface, liner replacement, renovate, etc) pool type (gunite, fiberglass, liner, above ground, etc) and build approach (pool builder, owner builder, etc)
I.e.
New build, gunite, OB
Renovate, gunite, PB

We have a sticky a thread for that...in everything else...

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks for pointing out that thread, it's a great one (probably why it's a sticky)! I now have that one in my watched list so I can get back to it after my pool is built.

I was thinking more of stuff that people wish they did differently in their design or during construction. Sort of like the school of hard knocks stuff that once it's done it's done and too costly to change but you wish you would have done differently.

Reactions: Newdude
So... if you could do it all over again what would you do differently on your project?
I kicked myself watching them build my first pool for what I paid the middle man. He was a great PB with great subs though, so I was still happy.

I used the same PB for build #2 because I didn't think I'd have the time to GC it so shortly after moving. This time, the subs were a disaster. I spent twice the effort getting the PB involved to get the subs back to correct their mistakes, then also being available for the subs, in case PB didn't relay the problems correctly. There were many, many follow ups needed to get the ball rolling at every step or correction. The PB was still great and answered every call, and got the subs to fix every problem, but I paid him to GC what I had to GC anyway. Next time I'll hire my own crews.

New build, gunite/quartz, OB, completed March 2021
I would have done a better design of the entire backyard oasis project. I should have created more space for one more element, a half-court for basketball. I probably could have shrunk the pool and the sunken patio to create the space needed. Or moved the putting green around. Oh well, I just have to go to the park and use the court there.

New build, fiberglass, ob.

i would have been much more of a hard a.. with the subs. Next time I wont take any bull.

I dont want to hear "this is how we always do it....."

you don't want to do what Im paying you to do, hit the road. Ill get someone else.

Next time I'll hire my own crews
Your build thread was one of those that convinced me I should go the OB route. I figured it's a roll of the dice with a PB. It seems the more you read the more you see it can be a crapshoot. Even with the same builder, one person has a great experience, and another has a s* show. In your case it was the same person using the same builder and having night and day different experiences.

Last edited:
So... if you could do it all over again what would you do differently on your project?
New Build, Vinyl, OB/PB

I would've hired the PB I should've hired in the first place. This would've solved almost all of my frustrations with building a pool. 20/20 hindsight is great isn't it 🤷‍♂️. As far as the "features" go, and some of these $$ sometimes comes into play as to what you can do, I would've built a bigger pool (although my pool size is now out of compliance with new zoning code, luckily my permit got approved first!), I love the simplicity of the IntelliConnect but I would've gotten the IntelliCenter just to clean up the electrical a little, would've been more of a stickler on the anchors (ladders, rails, volleyball, basketball) because concrete guys suck, would've made sure the sand filter was backwashed first at start up, would've done the landscaping myself (waste of money, they got it done faster, but they suck), love 6" radius corners but would seriously consider 2' radius to help with the liner fit, maybe used smaller PVC to increase pressure so the slide possibly works at lower rpm/flow, and probably a dozen other little things.

But hey, I have a pool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.