If FC is at or above the recommended for CYA and no CC present, but mustard algae is present...

Unfortunately, this is the second pool season it has reared its ugly head. I have steps built into the shallow end that I can't get back into the crevices with a brush and my old fiber optic lights can't be dismantled until it's time for a liner change. So.....the winter closure allowed it to do its thing. The pool was opened April 23rd with clear water and A LOT of dirt and sediment. I vacuumed to waste, brushed, kept up SLAM and the stuff kept coming back, going from yellowish sand to a white dusty powder in the same places. Then....Memorial Day festivities put a crimp in SLAM process. Now it is mostly light yellow, but the water itself is like diamonds.

Currently:
CYA = 50 (treat it as 60)
FC has not dropped below 16.
CC= 0
pH=approximation of 7.5 (dilution method of 1 part distilled water to 1 part pool water)
TA = 115
CH = 220
Salt = 3600

I've had family members begging me to let them swim.....I considered letting the FC drop to 11, vacuum the stuff up and allow them to swim...but I wasn't sure if I should be concerned about bacteria and its friends.

Algae itself is not dangerous, just a nuisance. You can safely swim if the FC level is at or below SLAM levels, pH is in proper range and you can clearly see to the bottom of the deep end. The viruses and bacteria are typically much easier to kill than algae and shouldn't be an issue, especially at the elevated FC levels. Let them swim.

Please describe why you think you have mustard algae. Color is not the primary sign. Regardless, the SLAM process needs to be followed until you get no more sediment on the floor and the water is clear, CC is at or below 0.5ppm and OCLT is passed. Only then is the additional step for mustard algae followed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.