If calcium gets wet can it still be used?

BasicTek

Bronze Supporter
Oct 9, 2016
Lake Mary, FL
Hi all,

My wife put my ice melt [FONT=&quot]94% Pure CaCl2 Pellets outside (while the bag was open) and it got soaked, and has hardened. Would there be any issues to either chipping off pieces and throwing them in my pool or maybe dissolving it in a bucket 1st? I didn't pay much but still have half a bag (or now I should call it a rock) left. Just curious.... [/FONT]

I agree with pre-dissolving it in a bucket. Just a word of caution. Be careful when dissolving it in a bucket. It has a serious exothermic reaction and can almost boil water if you try to dissolve a lot in a little water at one time.

Yes if the bag is left open it will absorb any humidity from the air very quickly. Left out long enough it will dissolve completely. On the bright side, with it all as one solid lump, the surface area should slow the dissolution rate which will limit the exotherm. You can probably wrap the bag in a towel and hit it with a hammer a few times to break up the lumps if you want to. You should still be able to dissolve it and use it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.