Ideas to protect pool equipment from the sun?

Skenn81

Apr 23, 2018
Florida
With the angle my house is set at the destructive forces of the Florida sun beats down on the pool equipment for at least half of the day. It hits the PVC, pump, swg, everything, full force for hours and hours and hours every day. I am starting to worry that over time it's going to destroy everything so I want to protect it as much as I can. The area itself is about 4 feet wide, 3 1/2 feet deep, and a little over 2 ft high with the filter. I cant just plop a shed down on it as on the back wall there are the wires and boxes and only an inch of room between the equipment and the house.
PXL_20220506_124713957.jpg
PXL_20220506_124724553.jpg

The sun comes from the left, its in the shade right now as it's below the trees but once it gets a little higher it travels right above this area and beats down on that equipment all day.

The simplest thing I could think of is to just get a beach umbrella and put it over that but that's not much of a long term solution and would blow down next time a bad storm comes through. The electrical boxes should last a very long time so not too worried about those, just the equipment itself is what I want to protect.

Reactions: Foxer
Here's an example of mine.

full

While it looks nice I am sure my HOA (HOA's in Florida are almost everywhere, I still dont think I like it) would evict me from my house and throw me on the street for trying to add anything attached to the house.

It sucks.

I need a more non-permanent solution unfortunately.

Build a structure from PVC and wrap in shade cloth. Would need to find a way to secure it using cement block or some kind of attachment to the ground. Then just pick it up when you need to access the equipment.

A lean to roof would work great in your situation. I built this over mine...this picture here shows as close as the sun ever gets to it.

20210415_123855.jpg

Build a structure from PVC and wrap in shade cloth. Would need to find a way to secure it using cement block or some kind of attachment to the ground. Then just pick it up when you need to access the equipment.
You know, I was going to try putting together a very simple PVC soccer goal for my son this weekend and when I read your post that shape would actually work almost perfect for a kind of shade shape. The "open" part of the goal could face the wall and slip right in the back there with the netting being replaced with some shade fabric like you mention. If I am inspired enough I will give this a shot!

I came here to suggest the PVC and shade cloth, but I see it's already been suggested! +1 then for that idea..especially if it doubles as a soccer net :)...WIN WIN!

PVC, Primer and glue is super cheap...and so is shade cloth...all easy materials to work with...

At the very least get some flat black spray paint on all the pipes. The dollar-can stuff at Home Depot works great. It lasts as long as the much-more expensive brand. Don't get gloss or semi-gloss, you won't like it.

Be sure to keep it off the pump (remove the lid) and SWG as much as possible. Clean the filter tank and lid with a Scotch scrubber and soap and water. Let it dry well. You can paint it with the same black paint (done it many times), clear (ugly but protects), or a color closer to the tank original. Will help protect equipment, is easily done again as needed, the pipes will fade to white again and the filter may peel a bit. The valves don't need it. Best to remove the filter- lid star and gauge. You will be amazed at how much better everything looks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OP I totally understand as I too have been blessed by the Florida sun. I recently installed a new VS pump and are looking for inexpensive ideas. Until I can do something permanently I went to the local hardware store and purchase a 7ft x 9ft blue tarp for $3.99 and placed it over my pool equipment using bungee cords to keep the tarp in place. It does not look good but it works as a temporary solution. I will attach a pic. Hope this helps :cheers:

Attachments

• 59A58303-C273-48EB-B07F-EBBDDE5416B1.jpeg
    59A58303-C273-48EB-B07F-EBBDDE5416B1.jpeg
    538 KB · Views: 17
  • 71B76FBD-3936-40DE-81CD-3B28D3E2F096.jpeg
    71B76FBD-3936-40DE-81CD-3B28D3E2F096.jpeg
    662.5 KB · Views: 16
An incredibly inelegant solution, but I think it's going to be functional and work. This is a very minor step up from the blue tarp solution posted above

PXL_20220515_170608970.jpg

I bet I could make it look nicer if I properly got it around the pvc and shaped nicely. It's all shaded now though under there and its blocking the sun, so I think we're set.

With the angle my house is set at the destructive forces of the Florida sun beats down on the pool equipment for at least half of the day. It hits the PVC, pump, swg, everything, full force for hours and hours and hours every day. I am starting to worry that over time it's going to destroy everything so I want to protect it as much as I can. The area itself is about 4 feet wide, 3 1/2 feet deep, and a little over 2 ft high with the filter. I cant just plop a shed down on it as on the back wall there are the wires and boxes and only an inch of room between the equipment and the house.
View attachment 407223
View attachment 407224

The sun comes from the left, its in the shade right now as it's below the trees but once it gets a little higher it travels right above this area and beats down on that equipment all day.

The simplest thing I could think of is to just get a beach umbrella and put it over that but that's not much of a long term solution and would blow down next time a bad storm comes through. The electrical boxes should last a very long time so not too worried about those, just the equipment itself is what I want to protect.

There are lots and lots of choices on this. All you need is shade. For our next pool I plan to build a pvc frame and use some old Sunbrella canvas from our sailing days. It's what boaters use to enclose cockpits and takes a beating from the sun.

Chris

An incredibly inelegant solution, but I think it's going to be functional and work. This is a very minor step up from the blue tarp solution posted above

View attachment 411022

I bet I could make it look nicer if I properly got it around the pvc and shaped nicely. It's all shaded now though under there and its blocking the sun, so I think we're set.
Actually i like your idea. Where did you get the cloth from?

Lowes!

The one the person mentioned here. I did see cheaper ones on Amazon but the reviews made them all seem like really cheap trash. $30 to protect $1000s in pool equipment seems fair. Used zip ties to secure it to the PVC frame, which is all 3/4" from Home Depot.
Very nice looks better than my blue tarp. I will have to take your idea and modify my shade for my new pool pump. I have lots of old pvc pipe from sprinkler system that I had to pull out when we had the pool built 12 years ago. 😊

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.