Ideas for making draining AGP with a utility pump faster?

jlt19

Aug 20, 2019
St. Louis, Missouri
We bought a 1/3 hp submersible pump to drain under the 4-6 inches under the return for winter. The box says 1920gal/hr. It's been nearly 24 hours and has moved barely an inch I'd say. Obviously the hose is going pretty high up to get out of the pool, it's stretched to its max b/c we're draining to the front of the house, and it's one of those that expands when full from 33ft to 100ft (though it's not expanding much b/c of lack of water pressure). All things that the "troubleshooting" says could affect the pressure, which it is.

So, any tips or tricks you've tried that's worked? Should we buy a regular old hose? Buy a wider one (3/4 in vs. 1 1/4) since the pump can handle either? Put something inside the pool to raise the pump thus making the pitch up not so dramatic? Get a better pump? At this rate, we won't get to our target until November (only half joking)!

Try lowering the height of the discharge hose (decrease the vertical distance between the pump and the highest point in the hose) a pump can only pump against so much "head", i.e. flow resistance. the biggest part of that in this case is the height of the column of water it's trying to push uphill, not the length of the hose. If your pool is higher than where you are draining to, it may be faster to siphon.

Reactions: jlt19
If your pump is sitting on the pool bottom, raise it to a foot below the water level. The flow ratings on pumps are for very low or no head pressure. The output hose length and small diameter will also increase head pressure but simply lifting the pump may be enough since you are only draining several inches.

Those hoses are great for saving space when not in use but need alot of pressure to fully expand in diameter. Your pump probably doesnt have the oomph so you are fighting the restricted diameter and the 100ft length loss. My submersible pump has a connection for a hose but i rigged up an adapter to 2 inch sprinkler pipe. It has very little pressure, but tons of volume.

If your pump is sitting on the pool bottom, raise it to a foot below the water level. The flow ratings on pumps are for very low or no head pressure. The output hose length and small diameter will also increase head pressure but simply lifting the pump may be enough since you are only draining several inches.

Any suggestion on how to raise it (while not holding it)? I"m trying to think of something I can put in the pool to set it on, but coming up blank.

Seems the biggest problem is that the I'm not only having the hose run up the 52 in wall, but then it's going up a slope to where it's getting drained. I always backwashed to a lower area and I could presumably run the hose out the return hole now which would lessen the height it needs to go and put the draining downhill. My husband, however, is adamant we run it to the street vs putting more water in the back yard b/c it's so wet already back there. I suggested connecting the hose to the sprinkler to help move it around more but he doesn't think the pressure would be enough. I just can't imagine what running this pump 24/7 is doing. Can't be good for the pump or our bills!

The pump consumes very little electricity.

Pumping up hill with that pump is not good. Do you have a sewer cleanout close by?

The pump consumes very little electricity.

Pumping up hill with that pump is not good. Do you have a sewer cleanout close by?

Nope it's uphill too.

Ladder is already out and cleaned, but I'll try the 2x4 trick. Also I'm going to move it to the other side of the yard (down slope) and just watch it to see if it starts puddling in the yard. We have a retaining wall along our back and my husband has been worried about erosion for years. We finally built a garden back there but still waiting on plants to mature before we feel more comfortable with a lot of water drainage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And if its downhill you can let gravity siphon it without the pump. You'll need actual hose tho and not the expandy one.

How about this hooked to your backwash outlet: 1 1/2" hose. I have something like this to run out to the street.

Use your vacuum w/ water running into skimmer to keep the head sealed. You only need a trickle of water in to keep the seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.