Ideas for heating inground Spa with cold Pool

Contentt

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2018
Vienna, VA
Getting colder and want to keep using our inground spa while I stop heating the pool in preparation for closing it for the winter. I"m guessing I should keep the spa cover on to keep some heat in, and I'll still run the spa and pool filter to keep water balanced. There is a 2" pipe about 5' long that connects the spa to the pool, can anyone tell me the purpose of this in the pool design? Could I put a plug in this for the next month or two to keep the warmer water in the spa?
Thanks,
Dave

That pipe sounds like your spa spillover.

Do you intend to leave your system in POOL mode or SPA mode?

If in POOL mode water flows into your spa and then down the pipe into your pool then if you plug the pipe your spa will overflow.

I have separate returns and suction pipes for both the pool and spa, so pool mode only goes to the pool, and same with spa. So I don't believe it will overflow, but I could test it. I could leave it in spa mode, but then the pool would get gross before I close due to no circulation. Sometimes when the spa water is unbalanced I'll play with the valves and route a foot of spa water into the pool, then come back a few minutes later and the water is back to normal level due to the pipe flowing water back into the spa.

I have separate returns and suction pipes for both the pool and spa, so pool mode only goes to the pool, and same with spa.

Yes, but there is often a spa refresh line that sends water to the spa during POOL mode to keep the spa water circulating and fresh. The spa water then spills over to the pool but some systems are built with a pipe like what you describe connecting the pool and spa.

Post pics of your equipment pad.

So I don't believe it will overflow, but I could test it.

Definitely need to give it a test.

I could leave it in spa mode, but then the pool would get gross before I close due to no circulation.

That is not desirable.

Sometimes when the spa water is unbalanced I'll play with the valves and route a foot of spa water into the pool, then come back a few minutes later and the water is back to normal level due to the pipe flowing water back into the spa.

You need to understand what is making the equalization happen.

Last edited:
Thanks! I believe I learned something new. I didn't know there was such a thing as a pipe to refresh the spa water, that would make sense. So now I'm wondering if I run the spa daily to keep water clean is that good enough to plug the pipe for a few weeks to keep it warm or should I really keep this pipe open. Here's a pic of the pad and spa, the lower right hole in the spa is the one that connects to the pool.

Attachments

• IMG_2619.jpg
    IMG_2619.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 21
  • pad.jpg
    pad.jpg
    775.5 KB · Views: 20
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.