Ideal plumbing/pump configuration

cstouder22

Jun 24, 2019
New Orleans
I was wondering what the most ideal plumbing set up would be? How many pumps needed? Pics of pool below with perimeter overflow spa, 5 scuppers, and 2-3 bubblers. Currently planning on Pentair Intelliflo VS pump model 011028. If an additional pump is recommended, what kind... A water feature pump...single speed pump, etc?

Attachments

• 8CD96CFD-7503-4267-A84A-EB404A02F422.jpeg
    8CD96CFD-7503-4267-A84A-EB404A02F422.jpeg
    553.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 07AA524E-874E-445E-8EE0-8184E6139B1E.jpeg
    07AA524E-874E-445E-8EE0-8184E6139B1E.jpeg
    506.1 KB · Views: 33

If this were my pool, I would have a waterfall pump installed so that it sucked water from the main drains and then directly to the five scuppers without going through any filter.. The bubblers and the rest of the returns would run off the IntelliFlo... and they would not be connected to the main drain as they are not really needed anyway.

The scuppers would either be on or off.. You could control the flow with a manual valve or you could use another VS pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi.

Something to keep in mind is how much of the day do you want water overflowing the spa. VS pump on all returns like Jim said might solve that.

Also what is your spa jet setup? 6? Which pump will power the jets?

Last edited:
I will have IntelliCenter automation for the pool. The VS pump quoted is 011056 (asked for 011028 but the warehouse here doesn’t stock that model, so would have to pay for shipping etc) and Pentair 1.5 HP Super Flo 340039 is quoted to run the bubblers and 5 scuppers. The spa set up is 6 jets. Since it’s a perimeter overflow spa, wouldn’t it be overflowing all the time?

The 011056 is the VSF model, it will work, but is just more money for things you don't need.. Not a real issue, I am just not a fan of VF pumps..

I don't believe that the SuperFlo is a waterfall pump.. You might not need a waterfall pump depending on how much water the 5 scuppers need... Let's see if Mark can chime in.. Calling @mas985

We don't recommend running the overflow from the spa all the time as it increases your pH pretty quickly.. But it is your pool and you can do what you want. :mrgreen: Your automation system can be set up to only run the overflow an hour a day to keep your spa water fresh or whenever you want to show off... Obviously, when you are using the spa, no water will flow over into the pool.

I would have the bubblers run off the main pump so that they get filtered water.. The scuppers do not need filtered water and can be run from the waterfall pump without going through the filter..

You will also find that your scuppers will be fun for about 10 minutes... They tend to be very loud so once the fun runs out you will want to shut them off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Whether to use a waterfall pump is dependent on the total flow rate requirements and the plumbing design used to deliver that flow rate.

If the PB had planned on a single pump, then the flow rate requirements are probably not too high and can be serviced by the Intelliflo with the appropriate valve setup.

However, if you want us to evaluate what the PB has in mind, we would need a lot more information about your setup. So do you know what the flow rate requirements are for each element and can you describe the proposed plumbing design (schematic would be better)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.