Ideal pH to avoid eye burn

Cody

Bronze Supporter
Aug 17, 2014
Prosper, TX
My pH tends to drift upward and I control with acid, but normally don't go below 7.6 when I adjust. Since pH levels are what typically causes swimmer eyes to burn, and since human tears are generally 7.0 to 7.3 (according to a quick Google search), should I be shooting for a lower level?

I ask because my eyes have always been a little sensitive in pools...now that I understand the TFP method I'm trying to fine tune the water for the best experience for everyone.

Anyone keeping pH levels around 7.2 for this reason? Or will it screw up something else....

Reactions: Rich D
TFP balanced water is pretty easy on my eyes. I target PH of around 7.6 - but honestly I can't tell the difference between 7.4-7.8.

The biggest possible issue: Rubbing of eyes - if you rub your eyes to clear them when you come up for air it tends to press pool water more on to your eyeballs and irritate them more since it is not the natural tears that protect your eye...I think other issues could occur IF you have any CC - or higher than normal range of FC.

Reactions: Rich D
Monty! I think you are on to something! Another member said the same thing! Once he start patting his eyes instead of rubbing them with the towel it solved his eye irritation problem. So when you get out of the water just gently PAT your eyes with the towel. It will take some time to learn this new method but I hope it pays off. Now go jump into your pool to try it out!!!

In my opinion, pH is not that important in eye comfort. Anything in the 7s is fine.

I have seen people swimming in ph above 8 and below 5 (don't do it) without complaining about the eye effect.

CCs are the chief cause of eye discomfort.

In my opinion, pH is not that important in eye comfort. Anything in the 7s is fine.

I have seen people swimming in ph above 8 and below 5 (don't do it) without complaining about the eye effect.

CCs are the chief cause of eye discomfort.

Agree that in MOST pools the chief cause is CC.....but in a TFP it has to be pH right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I am not sure what the actual answer is, but ill give you my info.
My pool is 2 weeks old... I am ONLY doing SWG right now.. NO other balancing to speak of (because my cover is not yet on, and its been raining, etc so Im waiting to get the cover, then balance better).
But going off what my hot tub water is out of the tap im guessing around
PH - 7.9-8
FC - 2 ish
CC - 0 (ive tested FC and CC because im trying to figure out my SWG numbers).
CYA - 0
Hardness - 100-120
TA - 70-80

So I am doing zero balancing right now.. just letting the swg run, and for the first time in my life My eyes are not irritated by swimming. I am opening them under water for hours a day and zero discomfort. I would never be able to do this in any other pool (ive swam in a lot, public and private).
I cant tell you what its attributed too, but I hope when I balance everything out in a day or two when I get my cover it doesnt change. If it does, I can tell you its either CYA or a lower PH. Those are about the only things I have to really adjust.

My pool water usually has a lower PH than my tap water. Check your fill water. Mine is well over 8. So if the shower does not bother your eyes then the PH in your pool shouldn’t.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.