Ideal CYA, Chlorine & Calcium Hardness

dorgan

Apr 13, 2017
Rockledge, FL
So I've now had to SLAM my pool three different times. The SLAM usually lasts about a week and then the pool goes back to being Chrystal clear for another couple weeks before I start to notice algae starting to creep back.

I've bee keeping my chlorine at 5, and my CYA at 60 and run my pump for about 8 hours a day. I am located in central Florida and just wonder if I should up my CYA/FC level to complete with the brutal sun and small pool size. (Details in signature)

Also for the vinyl liner pool what is an ideal calcium hardness level?

So the minimum your FC has been is 5? Or is that what you are dosing it back to when you add chlorine?

Your target FC is 7-9. So when you dose your chlorine for the day, add enough to get to 11, or 3 ppm above mid-range target.

I would not raise your CYA. 60 is fine.

You do not need any calcium hardness unless your water is foaming. All you need to worry about is it if gets too high.

Your target FC is 7-9. So when you dose your chlorine for the day, add enough to get to 11, or 3 ppm above mid-range target.

Follow the above and you will have no problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.