Idea: Using a "drip" to dose liquid chlorine when on holidays?

irekz

May 12, 2020
UK
Hi guys.
I have a small spa that requires a daily does around 25ml of 12% bleach to keep in safe zone when not in use.
We go from time to time for two weeks away from home and this becomes problematic.

I was thinking about using a drip to administer chlorine when I am away. Found this on ebay:
Garden Plant Irrigation Automatic Fertilization Watering Bag Drip Device Pot

In theory it sounds reasonable - 3l bag, would last for 14 days. So if I would fill it with 14*25ml = 350ml of 12% bleach (to get dose I need for 14 days) and fill rest with water (2650ml). Then this drip would keep my spa safe for 14 days.

I think this would work - do you have any ideas for or against? Maybe someone is already using something like this?
Cheers,
Irek

ps. I guess one thing to makes sure is for drip not to be exposed to UV light (so dark bag or something), not an issue for me as my spa is indoors.

The most common method of liquid chlorine injection is by using a Stenner pump. Here’s an older thread about them. Choosing Stenner pump @Bama Rambler may be able to provide assistance with questions. And if you search Stenner pump on this site, you’ll get lots of hits. I looked for article here on them but wasn’t able to locate one, though there may be one.

I love the theory. Will need the chem gurus to know if drip method is enough to overcome the FC loss. An occasional drip of diluted 1.4 % chlorine might not be enough to affect 264 gallons.

I would dilute the chlorine as much as possible. Might have issue with the device getting damaged by the chlorine, but only a test will see. Adding that way will work from a chemistry standpoint.

Reactions: irekz
If you search my very old threads here you’ll see I fashioned a stupid simple auto chlorinator system using some cheap aquarium cleaner and a dollar store timer and posted about it here a few years back.

From comments made up to last season on the thread many were still successfully using the setup.

Found the thread for anyone interested:

Reactions: irekz
Some great replies - thank you very much guys!
I will purchase the drip just for science and see if it works as advertised, it is very cheap. Will report here any findings.

This might be more pernament solution however - thank you!
Found the thread for anyone interested:

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.