Gallatin, tn
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
When I go into the diagnostic display is shows 9551 hours, if this swg has a lifespan of 10,000 hours I guess mine is dead?
Cell light is flashing green and display reads cell. I did an acid bath last year even though it didn't seem to need it so I doubt that it has a lot of scale build up.

Doing an acid bath when the cell does not need it just reduces its life.

Some less damaging ways of cleaning a SWG cell are discussed in SWG How It Works - Further Reading

We recommend a SWG cell be 2X your water volume. The IC40 cell would be better sized for your 20K pool. The IC40 uses the same power center but would require some PVC work as it is longer.

Should I avoid going too big? I would think it's just a matter of expected chlorine production. I just thought why not go 50-60,000 gallon size. I run my pool nearly 24/7.

I'm leaning towards the circupool models. The pvc pipe that currently has the ichlor 30 installed is practically sitting on the concrete pad. Are there any models that I should avoid. I think the RJ and universal series would be easiest to install.

I would go 3X in a heartbeat in NY if they made a residential unit large enough for the ROI.

Last edited:
Should I avoid going too big? I would think it's just a matter of expected chlorine production. I just thought why not go 50-60,000 gallon size. I run my pool nearly 24/7.

I'm leaning towards the circupool models. The pvc pipe that currently has the ichlor 30 installed is practically sitting on the concrete pad. Are there any models that I should avoid. I think the RJ and universal series would be easiest to install.

It looks like you have all Hayward equipment with no automation and you say you run your pool 24/7.

A very large IC40/60 cell is not right for you. Without Pentair automation you can adjust the SWG % in 10% increments. That is not adequate to dial in your FC output.

Circupool RJ45+ can be a good choice for you. The RJ series has 5% increment adjustments. The Universal40 also has 5% adjustments.

Really the best SWG for you is a Hayward Aquarite with a T15 cell. The Aquarite gives you 1% increments.

If you want automation now would be the time to install an OmniPL or OmniHub with the Aquarite cell and tie in your Tristar pump , Heatpro, and Colorlogic lights.

Last edited:
Without Pentair automation you can adjust the SWG % in 10% increments. That is not adequate to dial in your FC output.
It's stand alone options are 2% / 4% / 6% / 8% / 10% / 20% / 40% / 60% / 80% / 100%.

I always use the higher choice if it doesn't line up perfectly with my needs. Many just run run the pump and SWG a little longer at 40%, or a little less at 60% to compensate. (Etc etc).

I know the automation folks love their full control and all, but it's really no biggie.
Circupool RJ45+ can be a good choice for you. The RJ series has 5% increment adjustments. The Universal40 also has 5% adjustments
When starting from scratch the Circupools are typically cheaper than the ICXX equivalent, but @RHanna already has the Pentair power unit so the IC40 by itself is cheaper than the RJ45 system.

The IC40 is the deal right now at $1049 online versus $1450 for the RJ30 with the $20 upgrade to the RJ45.

The rj45 upgrade to rj60 is $1650 and the IC60 is $1719.

I know the automation folks love their full control and all, but it's really no biggie.

No biggie as long as you are willing to mess around with two variables - pump runtime and SWG %.

It surprises some folks who get an overly large SWG with coarse % adjustments.

Now @RHanna is a better informed buyer.

Reactions: Newdude
With hayward or pentair, I'd have to pay someone to install to receive the warranty, correct? I'd need to factor that into the cost but I'm glad you mentioned the IC40 cheaper with the current power source already installed.

That's interesting that the % increments are so crude since the Ichlor is 1% increments. If I had to adjust I would just run the pump less time to dial in the FC.

Just glad that it's at the end of the season and I'm not scrambling trying to replace quickly. Current water temp is 63

With a Pentair IC40 cell with an EC-520555 part number you get a 2 year warranty.

Ecommerce (EC) products: Products purchased from an Authorized Pentair Online Reseller (products beginning with EC-) receive a one (1) year (parts only) warranty from the date of purchase. The exceptions are: IntelliChlor cells and IntelliFlo SVRS pumps which receive a two (2) year (parts only) warranty.

With Hayward Aquarite you get whatever warranty is indicated on the first two characters of the serial number.

Reactions: RHanna

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With a Pentair IC40 cell with an EC-520555 part number you get a 2 year warranty.

Ecommerce (EC) products: Products purchased from an Authorized Pentair Online Reseller (products beginning with EC-) receive a one (1) year (parts only) warranty from the date of purchase. The exceptions are: IntelliChlor cells and IntelliFlo SVRS pumps which receive a two (2) year (parts only) warranty.

With Hayward Aquarite you get whatever warranty is indicated on the first two characters of the serial number.

I think I'm better off just installing myself and not worrying about the warranty.

I wonder if anyone has experience with this company. It seems like the price is too good to be true for IC60.

They are a reseller and their address is a UPS store.

I bought my replacement IC60 from them. At the time before the world went to crud, one week shipping seemed sketchy, but it came when they said it would. Somebody else used them recently and had an issue but it was an issue with the IC60, not the seller.

I assume the hardest part will be to cut the pvc wider on one side to accept the longer swg. Is there anything else I need to worry about other than plugging it in? The power source seems to be the same as the Ichlor 30

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.