Ice damage to wall - is it safe to use?

CJ0203

Apr 17, 2020
New Hampshire
Hi all,

I can't get a straight answer (or ANY answer) from any of the local pool companies. There appears to be some ice damage to our 27' above ground pool wall, in a couple places. I noticed it last year when we opened the pool, there was a slight gap between the wall and the top rail by the ladder. We were just careful and kept an eye on it. When I closed the pool in September, I noticed another gap opposite the first one (I don't have pics of that one yet). The only answer I got from anyone was that it was likely ice damage from the ground freezing under the wall, and the only way to fix it would be to replace the wall. I cannot get anyone to tell me if this is something you HAVE to fix - meaning is it unsafe for my family to use this year, should we plan on getting it replaced? I am still planning to have someone come check it out (if I can get someone to respond to me) - but I wanted to ask for advice/opinions here while I wait. Thank you!

Attachments

• 1764619035.png
    1764619035.png
    578.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20190731_175136.jpg
    IMG_20190731_175136.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20190731_161500.jpg
    IMG_20190731_161500.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 43
Your upright moved up is my GUESS. Take the top cap and top rail on either side off. Go under there and clear everything from around that upright on the ground. Is it still seated in the "cup"? OR is the wall rail sunk down?

I had one move up some when I was washing the dirt away (hint use your hands only). I was able to push it back down and reseat it in it's holder. It is all good now. I hope it is the same for you!

Reactions: CJ0203
Rather tha go all out and replace it, I would highly recommend you dismantle it and check your paver post for level and readjust them as needed by bringing back to level. Then, you can reassemble the pool.

Here's the issue. Frost heave makes the ground move. Your stabilizer bars are not doing its job now because they are not attached to the pool providing structural integrity and now you have 2 weak spots instead of one. You need to get on this and fix it before you let anyone in the pool.

Reactions: CJ0203
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.