IC60 dead?

MUPPPP

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2019
Missouri
Hello, in July 2019, we installed the pool in my signature and I have always had success running my at around 40% to keep 5 ppm chlorine in my pool. I have never cleaned the cell. This year, I have had trouble keeping chlorine in the pool. I can have it running at 100% and there will be zero chlorine at the end of the day. My CYA is about 70 ppm. TA is 80, pH of 7.4. Borates are 50ppm.

it works some, as in the morning I will have maybe one part per million chlorine , but it can’t keep up. Bathing load is not an issue. I’ve been supplementing with liquid chlorine, but never had to in the past.

I first noticed the issue when the pool randomly got cloudy for no reason when I had never had such problems. I completed the SLAM process and have had clear water with 0 CC ever since, but have had to supplement with liquid chlorine.

I figured it just needed to be cleaned, but when I took it apart, the plates looked brand new with no buildup. So I didn’t clean it. Do you think it is dead? Or should I try cleaning it anyway and putting it back in? There are no error lights on it.

One additional tidbit is that since the pool was opened the spring, it has registered zero ppm of salt in the pool. But this is not accurate, as I have tested it separately and have 3400 ppm of salt. Not sure why it would register 0 ppm of salt.

I keep my variable speed pump on 24/7 and get about 25 gallons per minute flow. That has not changed since previous years.

Can a salt cell go bad in just two years? Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
M,

If the Cell light is on, then most likely the SWCG is making chlorine.. Keep in mind that at 50% the cell light will come on for about 2.5 minutes when it is making chlorine and then it will be off for about 2.5 minutes when it is not making chlorine.

My guess is you have an algae bloom that is eating your chlorine as fast as the cell can make it.

You need to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test or OCLT.. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

You need to turn off the SWCG and use Liquid Chlorine to get your FC up to 5 or above right at sundown. Then get your rear out of bed before sunrise and test the FC again.. I suspect that you will fail.. If so, you will need to do a SLAM..

The zero salt level is a known issue and have nothing to do with the cell making chlorine. As long as the cell has a green salt level all is good with the cell itself.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.