New Orleans
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I realize from reading on this forum that my Salt Cell should not be powered when my VSF is off. Unfortunately, mine stays powered. When looking at the current setup in the panel, I see power coming from the Salt Cell power board and thru the wiring plug/harness and onto the cell. This is a 4-wire plug (prob 220v).

I read that the cell needs to be powered up on the Load Side of the VSF relay. Not sure how I do with with 220v. I think I’ve circled everything that’s important; was hoping someone could point me in the right direction- maybe with a good diagram- so I can get this wired up correctly.

Tired of waiting on the PB to get back out here.
67FC5FC6-52DF-43C6-A255-5ECBB10C011F.jpeg43E404A3-A563-4B01-BED9-6442F597756C.jpeg94B0CB83-EBFB-4B82-87A5-62097E0DD927.jpeg

Last edited:
M,

You control the AC going to the SWCG Transformer, not the DC going to the cell itself..

To fix your problem here is what I would do...

Leave your pump connected as it is now, but in addition add the following...

Connect L1 and L2 (240 VAC) from the Pump's breaker to the Line side pins of the Pump/Filter relay.. (the one with the ???) This will put 240 VAC on the Line pins of the relay.

Disconnect the current input wiring to the SWCG transformer and rewire as follows..

Connect the Yellow transformer wire to one of the Load pins of the pump/filter relay, and the white wire to the other Load pin.. It does not matter which is which.
Connect the Violet and Black SWCG transformer wires together with a wire nut.

When wired like above, the pump will get constant AC power and the SWCG transformer will only get power when the pump/filter relay is closed.

And the last thing to do would be to fire the idiot that wired your system... :mrgreen:

Do you have a pool light??? If so, how do you turn it on?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mnmpizza
M,

You control the AC going to the SWCG Transformer, not the DC going to the cell itself..

To fix your problem here is what I would do...

Leave your pump connected as it is now, but in addition add the following...

Connect L1 and L2 (240 VAC) from the Pump's breaker to the Line side pins of the Pump/Filter relay.. (the one with the ???) This will put 240 VAC on the Line pins of the relay.

Disconnect the current input wiring to the SWCG transformer and rewire as follows..

Connect the Yellow transformer wire to one of the Load pins of the pump/filter relay, and the white wire to the other Load pin.. It does not matter which is which.
Connect the Violet and Black SWCG transformer wires together with a wire nut.

When wired like above, the pump will get constant AC power and the SWCG transformer will only get power when the pump/filter relay is closed.

And the last thing to do would be to fire the idiot that wired your system... :mrgreen:

Do you have a pool light??? If so, how do you turn it on?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim, thanks for the reply. Thought I had alerts on this thread; but never got an email stating u had replied.

I’ll read it a few times b4 attempting. No pool lights hooked up yet. PB installing next week - 6x Microbrites and 2x Globrites in bubblers.

PB didn’t wire it… Well, the PB’s startup guy did. The PB knows it’s wrong; but hasn’t gotten over here to fix it…

And, I did notice there are some screws missing on that relay… wth… I’ll just take some from the #8 relay, for now.

Thank you for the instructions!!

Shannon

Last edited:
I got-rr done... Thanks Jim R. for the technical advice! Also, I did have to "interpolate" the word "violet" - - as, I initially focused in on the Purple-n-Yellow wires coming from the smaller easytouch transformer on top. Luckily, I saw that the blue [or, violet] and black wires for the SWG Transformer were already wing-nutted... Used 12-Ga wire for all Jumpers.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.