IC40 question

Bvacchiano

Silver Supporter
Apr 6, 2018
Sugar Land, Texas
is there anyway to have the IC40 do a salt Measurement more than once every 12 hours? (Other than physically restarting it). I ask because down here in Houston we get some pretty darn hard rain. Yesterday I was at 3900 ppm on the Screen Logic. Heavy rains last night and u just looked and I’m at 2850 ppm. Obviously I got some type of slug in there but I could see this happening if I wasn’t home or forgot about it.
also I can’t find it on the forum but I know it’s been answered. At what PPM level does the chlorine production diminish? 2900? And at what level does it quit producing chlorine 2600? When I was at 2850 the salt level light was a solid green.

is there anyway to have the IC40 do a salt Measurement more than once every 12 hours? (Other than physically restarting it).
I don’t believe so. And it’s the downside to rains during off times. The mostly diluted pool water hasn’t had a chance to mix when the next pump/SWG runtime starts up so the cell can get a bogus reading and remain off for 12 hours, which is probably the next cycle of off time and it ends up off for a full day. If it has its own timer I would set to run 20 mins after the pump fires up to allow plenty of time for mixing.
At hat PPM level does the chlorine production diminish? 2900? And at what level does it quit producing chlorine 2600?
It either produces or not. Mine usually complained under 2800 per my K-1766 (no automation). I have no idea how far off it’s reading was from Taylor’s. 2800+ it ran like a dream. There is some variance in all of them though, water temps for example change the reading, but yours will tell you. Listen to the idiot light and forget about the rest after balancing at the start of the season.

Power the cell off and on and it will go through initialization and do a salt measurement.

For the IntelliChlor, ideal salt is 3600 ppm. Below 2800ppm the LOW SALT light will come on but it will keep generating. Below 2600 PPM the LOW SALT light will be on and the GREEN LED will be off indicating it is not generating.

Chlorine output is proportional to salt level and generation performance will increase from 2800 to 3600.

I had the same situation this morning with my pool full having got over 5 inches of rain and the IntelliChlor complaining of LOW SALT. I drained a few inches out and added a bag of salt and probably need to pickup some more salt. But I am going to let the water mix for a while as the pump was on low RPM and I suspect the rainwater was at the top and being sucked into the skimmer. I turned the RPM up to mix the pool better.

Last edited:
I cycled the pump a few times on/off and it’s back to 3800 ppm. Main reason in Houston I try to keep my cell at 4000-4100 ppm that way if I do get a slug at least it stays above 2700 ppm. Last thing I want is for the cell to quit producing chlorine and me not know about it.
honestly there should be a notification from Screenligic telling you salt level has dropped, flow light is red, etc.

Get the Taylor K1766 salt test kit and be certain. I found the rains here in Katy diluted the salt from 3900 to 3600. What % is your IC40 set on, and how long is it running? Your post sounded like it's 24 hours. My VSF pump is running 12 hours at 1600rpm during the day and 4 hrs from 1 to 5am. The IC40 running at 40% only during the day for 8 hours from 11am to 7pm has caused my FC to creep up at about .5ppm per day even with the rains, currently at 7.5ppm. I've just cut it back to 7 hours and may drop the Pct to 20 until I get down to 6ppm.

I had a weird problem today. Woke up and saw my cell reading 0 ppm. Went out to equipment. Everything solid green. Deleted the ScreenLogic app on my phone and reloaded. Still showing zero. Decided to restart pump screen logic showing 3600 ppm. Anybody ever see that? Not an issue with cell as it was solid green. ScreenLogic issue.

I had a weird problem today. Woke up and saw my cell reading 0 ppm. Went out to equipment. Everything solid green. Deleted the ScreenLogic app on my phone and reloaded. Still showing zero. Decided to restart pump screen logic showing 3600 ppm. Anybody ever see that? Not an issue with cell as it was solid green. ScreenLogic issue.

For some reason, unknown to Pentair, minor changes to the system will cause the salt level in the EasyTouch and ScreenLogic to read zero. This is just an error in reporting and the cell should still be working as long as the actual salt level is ok and the cell does not show a "red low salt" light on the cell. I believe that there is a timing issue in the circuitry that reports the salt reading to the EasyTouch. It is obvious that the cell knows what the real salt level is. This has been "Fixed" by the following actions:

• Just shutting off and rebooting the ET
  • Replacing the flow switch
  • Replacing the ET's surge card (power supply for the cell)
  • Replacing the ET's main board
  • Replacing the salt cell itself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.