Goddard, KS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I suspected a problem with my IC40 last summer. I cleaned the SWG with acid and it started working fine again, or so I thought. This summer we're back to lower than expected chlorine levels. Did research and found that I likely had a faulty flow meter. Replaced that and cleaned again with acid at that time....maybe a month ago. All of the diagnostics on my cell say everything is ok. All my lights are green. Shows 20% used and 80 for temp check (pool is 82). So why is my chlorine still low? The water I tested at 18 inches depth between the returns is showing 1.5ppm. I put a syringe directly on the return and it read 5ppm (to see what was coming straight out of the system). The IC40 is set at 100% and has been since I replaced the flow meter. Any more ideas or am I out of luck?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230610_112937.jpg
    Screenshot_20230610_112937.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 5
OK -- if your autocover is closed most of the time, that should be sufficient. Do you have any automation?

The test right off the return is not real reliable. And it is higher than the general pool FC. I assume you are seeing hydrogen bubbles out of the return?

OK -- if your autocover is closed most of the time, that should be sufficient. Do you have any automation?

The test right off the return is not real reliable. And it is higher than the general pool FC. I assume you are seeing hydrogen bubbles out of the return?
Autocover is on from about 2000 in the evening to 1200 the next day. No automation just timer switches. And, no, my tiny bubbles have disappeared. I used to see them on the two returns closest to the system but haven't seen them this year.

Also, how does the water look? Crystal clear, or a bit off?
Pretty much crystal clear. I run the vac when we have debris. And manual vac about every other week. Saturdays are my maintenance days and I usually add liquid chlorine when I find my chlorine drifting down again.

So the cover is not reducing your FC loss by much. The IC will create 2.8 ppm FC in your pool volume at 100% for 8 hours.

Is the Intellichlor completely powered off when the pump is not running?

Raise the pump rpm by 500 and see if the bubbles return. I assume the Cell light on the IC is constant Green if you are at 100%.

20k gallons, IC40 set to 100%, 8 hours pump run time, your cell is generating 2.8 ppm FC according to PoolMath. Generating during the day with the sun beating down on your pool, you are at the bare minimum. Increase pump run time during some hours the pool is covered.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So the cover is not reducing your FC loss by much. The IC will create 2.8 ppm FC in your pool volume at 100% for 8 hours.

Is the Intellichlor completely powered off when the pump is not running?

Raise the pump rpm by 500 and see if the bubbles return. I assume the Cell light on the IC is constant Green if you are at 100%.
Correct. Pump powers on at 1200. SWG powers on at 1215. SWG powers off at 1945. Pump powers off at 2000.

The green Cell light is solid and on at all times.

I just changed the rpm from 2000 to 3000 and no change in the bubble situation.

20k gallons, IC40 set to 100%, 8 hours pump run time, your cell is generating 2.8 ppm FC according to PoolMath. Generating during the day with the sun beating down on your pool, you are at the bare minimum. Increase pump run time during some hours the pool is covered.
OK. I'll give it a try. It's just been a very significant change from previous years in maintaining chlorine. That's why I'm suspicious that there is something different about my SWG. In years past can run it at 40 or 60% and have chlorine levels in 5-7ppm range. The Kansas summer hasn't really even gotten warmed up yet as far as environment goes. I'm going to be sunk when July and August are here.

Also check your CYA level -- it may have dropped over the winter, and that can make a big difference in FC usage during the day. I've seen 1-2ppm loss on a sunny day at 70ppm CYA, vs 4-5 at what turned out to be ~20ppm CYA

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.