IC40 flow issue

rmclain73

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2013
Needham, MA
Put salt in the pool yesterday to start using the SWCG for the season. When the pump is running at full speed of 3440 I get all green lights. Once the the pump slows down to my run speed of 2250 I get a red flow light. I upped it up the quick clean speed of 2750 and still red light. Last year I had no issues even when running at my lower speed of 1750. Could the the unit be clogged with anything? When the pool was closed last fall it was also descaled with acid, or at least the company said they did. I cannot get the unit off to check and see as one of the ends is screwed on so I tight it won't budge. It took a lot of strength to get the end off that I did as that side was stuck pretty well too. What tool can I use to try and get it unscrewed with? I am afraid of damaging the plastic end cap.

You can try a strap wrench. But as you say, be careful as everything is plastic.

Sounds like they bent or somehow messed up your flow switch. They are really flimsy. you can remove it without taking off the SWCG from the plumbing run. It is located under the little cover at the incoming side of the unit.

Good Luck.

rm,

I too would want to take a look inside the SWCG... I would also be looking at the actual flow... Is your filter dirty? What is the filter pressure? Is your water green? Can you feel good flow coming back to your pool?

I have, sitting next to me, the bottom half of a IC40 flow switch... It broke right off inside the cell. Looks like it suffered metal fatigue where it flexes. I guess my point is they can go bad..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

rm,

I too would want to take a look inside the SWCG... I would also be looking at the actual flow... Is your filter dirty? What is the filter pressure? Is your water green? Can you feel good flow coming back to your pool?

I have, sitting next to me, the bottom half of a IC40 flow switch... It broke right off inside the cell. Looks like it suffered metal fatigue where it flexes. I guess my point is they can go bad..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

My water has been crystal clear since I took the cover off the pool in April. PSI has not really gone up at all. All other features working as before with the same flow rate. As far as I can tell the filter system is running business as usual.

- - - Updated - - -

You can try a strap wrench. But as you say, be careful as everything is plastic.

Sounds like they bent or somehow messed up your flow switch. They are really flimsy. you can remove it without taking off the SWCG from the plumbing run. It is located under the little cover at the incoming side of the unit.

Good Luck.

I guess I don't understand where you are taking about. If i slide back the plastic cover to adjust the output percentage, I don't see any flow switches. Just a light.

The flow switch is screwed into the body of the unit. The cover over the switch is all white, between the screw connector and the main body of the SWCG.

Hope that helps.

Stupid question, but when taking the unit out of the system to clean do you turn both sides to unscrew in the same direction? Does one side unscrew in a different direction from the other? Maybe that is why I cannot get one side off.

So I got the unit out and took a look inside. Very clean, and nothing obstructing flow. While it was out I cleaned it just to be sure. When I put it back in the loop I was still getting the flow red light error. My heat pump is turning on and that requires much more flow than the IC40. I think it's time to call Pentiar. Unit was installed last spring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Most likely the flow switch. If under warranty they should repair with no issues. Be sure to use bleach to keep your FC at an appropriate level until they get it fixed.

Good Luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.