IC40 Failure and advice on replacement/upgrade to IC60

iannecj

Jul 18, 2019
Central Florida
My main issue is no light on IC40 and initially a tripped IC breaker in the intellitouch i9. It occurred when I was in front of the equipment and commanding a mode change spa to pool. IC40 lights on briefly then out.

I noted tripped breaker and attempted to reset....it held but I thought I smelled burning so secured power within a minute.

After looking inside panel I didn't see anything burnt so removed transformer low voltage lead to surge board (red header plugged single wire) , set to service, activated filter pump relay on i9 and read voltage from transformer low voltage secondary at 31.2VAC, green LED on, breaker holding fine.

Checked voltage on connector to cell, 27.3 VDC between red and black.

This reads a little low compared to forum posts here but decided to try it ...I deactivate all then plug cell back in and restartBreaker holds but no lights on IC40 and cell gets warm. Board does have bright green LED. I have old picture of board and compared to now and the slight discolorations around bridge rectifier had been there.

So questions involve what to change out and in what order and where to get it from.

Some notes to consider:

(1.) IC40 is original pool installer unit from March 2019
(2.) IC40 seemed undersized for my unscreened 30,000 gallon pool in central Florida. May when few clouds I had to run pump for 12 hrs to keep up and sometimes supplement with tabs.
(3.) Its ran either 10 or 12 hrs a day flawlessly but struggled to keep up in some months of year.
(4.) I estimates something over 15700 hrs of operation.
(5.) Recently I changed flow and thermistor sensor on IC40 to see if I could get my screen logic salt reading back. It did not initially come back but every so many days I would get a reading. So very spotty.

Questions:
(1.) Given breaker tripped I suspect surge board. Also given comm problems and slightly low readings seems like a good plan. Can I change that our first and connect to my old cell? Would I risk damaging my new $300 surge board.
(2.) local Pentair warranty service company seems to think this board for IC60 is different one from one for IC40 and quoted me $3,000 for it. I assume this was same board I have. Is that correct? The board I have will also support IC60? If so I think I see it on internet OEM for under $300.00 and copy for less
(3.) I dont seem to see that board sold by the TFP recommended vendor polytec pools often mention on this forum. I do see it here:
Surge board from Pools Unlimited
Is this correct board? Anybody recommend a better option, possibly one where I can get IC60 too?
(4.) Any reason to just change board alone then cell or vice versa?
(5.) I read on TFP no difference in warranty of if do myself on cells...board that way too?

Thanks all!

I attach some pictures

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMwbodaACooG56ULwV77A4Lw66XOgPUzcg4_Huy
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMwbodaACooG56ULwV77A4Lw66XOgPUzcg4_Huy

Attachments

• 20230616_160019.jpg
    20230616_160019.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230616_155738.jpg
    20230616_155738.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 8
Ian,

We ALWAYS recommend that a cell be rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool. There is no doubt that a 40K cell is too small for a 30K pool.

Unplug the cell from the automation and then see if the breaker trips. If it trips, it is the surge card, if it does not trip, then most likely the surge card is good.

In "most" cases, when the breaker trips, it is a bad cell.

The IC60 uses the same surge card, so you just take out the IC40 and slide in the IC60.

I like these guys.. Pentair IntelliChlor

The IntelliChlor is just about the only thing you can install yourself and still get a warranty. (Assumes the original equipment was installed by dealer.)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.