Raleigh NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I just installed IC40 about 3 weeks ago and initially it worked as expected (temps matched, salt level matched). The temps dropped, freeze protection is coming on every night over the last week.
Water temp is ~52D. Salt tested with a kit at 3500ppm.
The cell turns off - makes sense with the temps assuming it's reading just below the 52F
Salt level in the app is 0, low salt light on - makes sense with the low temp
Low temp light is NOT on, temperature in the app is 0F - why? Before I do the hack of disconnecting the temp sensor in the cell - any ideas? The cell is from 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:
L&S,

The temperature in the app is from your IntelliConnect's temp probe. The cell has its own temp probe.. the IntelliConnect reading a temp of zero has nothing to do with the salt cell.

To be honest I would not try troubleshooting any cell issues unless your water temp is consistently above 60 degrees. Even though the cell may work below 60 degrees, the salt readings are pretty suspect.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The temperature in the app is from your IntelliConnect's temp probe. The cell has its own temp probe.. the IntelliConnect reading a temp of zero has nothing to do with the salt cell.
They are separate values. One probe i plumbed directly to the intelliconnect (for heater control) and the second reading over comms from the cell. When the temps were higher the 2 values matched within a few degrees. You can see from the screenshots (pump off for 5hrs now)
I'm with you on waiting until things warm up. Just uncomfortable with actual low temp but the low temp light on the cell being off. I guess there are plenty of bugs with pentair software.
Thanks for the feedback!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220112-211105_Pentair Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20220112-211105_Pentair Home.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220112-211124_Pentair Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20220112-211124_Pentair Home.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 7
L&S,

Well, I did not know that.. Your IntelliConnect operates differently than my EasyTouch.

I notice under IntelliChlor the app shows OFF.. I wonder if when it is off, it just reports nothing, hence the zero temp. :scratch:

When your app shows "off" do any of the lights on the cell work?

Thanks for the heads up about the operation of the IntelliConnect app.

With an EasyTouch, if the pump is not running, the power to the cell is removed and the cell has no lights. I believe that with the IntelliConnect, when the pump is not running the cell still gets power, but the output level drops to zero.. Is that correct??

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am an iPhone user, so I am curious... What happens when you click on the 'about the temp reading' text in your app? I don't have that and my chemistry tab doesn't show any temperature. The only temp my intellicenter app shows is the air and water temp probe readings.

--Jeff

I chose to plumb the power to the cell through the same relay as the pump to be really certain that a bad flow switch doesn't grenade anything. Plus seemed like possible energy saving and i didn't come up with a downside. So in that screenshot it's really off.
It shows the same thing when pump is running. I just turned the pump on manually and you can see the independent sensor jumped up, cell shows on, but temp from the cell is still 0...
Does the histogram on easytouch have gaps in data on anything other than hourly like intelliconnect? I contacted pentair about it and they said they'll put it in their backlog.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220112-215544_Pentair Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20220112-215544_Pentair Home.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220112-215552_Pentair Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20220112-215552_Pentair Home.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220112-215615_Pentair Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20220112-215615_Pentair Home.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I am an iPhone user, so I am curious... What happens when you click on the 'about the temp reading' text in your app? I don't have that and my chemistry tab doesn't show any temperature. The only temp my intellicenter app shows is the air and water temp probe readings.

--Jeff
Basically to keep in mind that it's downstream from the heater.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220112-215916_Pentair Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20220112-215916_Pentair Home.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Figured I'll follow-up - cut off the cell temp sensor, measured nothing near matching what a 10k thermistor should show. Replaced and now the cell temp is correct and it's back to producing chlorine. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.