iAqualink Setup Issue

Mar 16, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
So having a minor issue. Pool was complete and start up was Monday. The house does not yet have wifi (and wont for roughly 2 more weeks) and I (incorrectly apparently) assumed I could just turn an iPhone into a personal hotspot and use the iAqualink that way. Using phone #1 as a hotspot, I followed the directions on phone #2 to connect the iAqualink to the hotspot and all lights came on indicating that it was connected to the internet. However, when I used the app on phone #2 (connected to phone #1's hotspot) to try to add the location, I get something along the lines of "can't connect. Ensure device is online and connected to the same network." Thought maybe it was an issue with the way phones hotspot together, so tried using a laptop connected to phone #1's hotspot and still got the same thing. Am I SOL until I can get actual wifi to the house?

That is exactly what I'm currently doing (and indeed can do for the foreseeable future) but the ability to add schedules and control the speed of the variable speed pump would be nice. The ability to do so manually is what makes this a "minor." Also, I'm an electrical engineer and the curiosity of this problem is intriguing to me, not the least because I can't find anything online about it. And you are very correct, technology DOES NOT always make things easier/better.

While a phone hotspot provides connection to the internet, i think they have it firewalled to prevent it functioning as a switch to create a local network for device to device networking through the hottspot.

Can you use phone2 to access your automation as though you are out of the house and not on the house network?

You may want to call Jandy and talk to their iAquaLink support.

Reading your original post have you tried this. Ensure the iAquaLink is connected to your phone 1 hotspot. If so on phone 2 using the cell device connect to your iAquaLink account at the website. https://iaqualink.zodiacpoolsystems.com/

What I think maybe happening is that by connecting phone 2 the hotspot is either disconnecting the iAquaLink or for some reason only allowing one device to go out to the internet.

From my understanding the iAquaLink only holds what has been programmed online or direct inputs. Essentially when you make changes via app/website those changes are uploaded as a “program” to the controller.

I think this has to do with Jandy basically building on top of old tech (the remotes that cost way to much)

This was the easiest way for them to implement “smart controls”

So about 2 months ago they did a server update and most folks lost app/website control but you could still program from the panel or remote (since it has a direct rf link). What ever program you had when the serves went down still ran.

You may want to call Jandy and talk to there iAquaLink support.

Reading your original post have you tried this. Ensure the iAquaLink is connected to your phone 1 hotspot. If so on phone 2 using the cell device connect to your iAquaLink account at the website. https://iaqualink.zodiacpoolsystems.com/

What I think maybe happening is that by connecting phone 2 the hotspot is either disconnecting the iAquaLink or for some reason only allowing one devise to go out to the internet.

From my understanding the iAquaLink only holds the what has been programmed online or direct inputs. Essentially when you make changes via app/website those changes are uploaded as a “program” to the controller.

I think this has to do with Jandy basically building on top of old tech (the remotes that cost way to much)

this was the easiest way for them to implement “smart controls”

Tried calling them today, but getting a message that they are closed for the holiday. I will try again tomorrow, just taking a shot in the dark since this forum is typically very knowledgeable and I'm not super patient lol.

If this is for the initial setup, you are doing it wrong. You first connect with 1 phone directly to the iAqualink device, set all the networking parameters to the hotspot phone, then it gets internet access and you can complete programming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If this is for the initial setup, you are doing it wrong. You first connect with 1 phone directly to the iAqualink device, set all the networking parameters to the hotspot phone, then it gets internet access and you can complete programming.
So I may be bad at explaining things because this is what I did. Phone 1 was turned into a hotspot, phone 2 connected to iAqualink and network was set to phone 1. All lights on the iAqualink device were illuminated indicating it was connected to the internet. Then I connected phone 2 to phone 1 and attempted the setup. That didn't work, so I tried doing the same thing with a laptop and the website and it still did not work.

https://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0423300.pdf

I read the quick guide and I know what’s wrong. You need to connect to the webpage via the same router. (See info note step 4-2)

I don’t think a cellphone hotspot acts likes traditional router so that is why you can’t add the location. Is there a chance you can use your neighbors WiFi to just do the setup?

If not I just googled “use hotspot with router” (if you have one available) and found this video. I’m sure there are other sites as well https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ykqFgJi-ZE

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.