I want to remove metals, not sequester them.

Sep 11, 2013
Cocoa, fl
Having issues again with metal stains and am tired of spending money to “sequester” them.
does any one know How or tried to totally remove them? and what is the procedure?
I would assume it would have to be drained out and refilled correct?

i wonder why one would want to have them sequestered and still contaminating the water, rather than to try to get the metal out of the pool.

Please inform me. Thanks all

The best way to remove metals is to drain the pool and refill with metal free water. Some people don;t have access to metal free water or cannot safely drain their pool.

Iron can sometimes be filtered using polyfill in the skimmer. Cooper usually can only be eliminated with draining.

You don't mention which metal you're dealing with? Please update.

Do you know how the metal got in your pool? That's important to know to avoid it again.

Maddie
These are the two key questions. What metal do you have and where did it come from?

I'll give yo an example - copper. A very common "source" of copper is improper pH in the pool releasing copper from the heat exchanger in a heater. Change the water without fixing the heater and you just get more copper.

Got iron in your source water (like I do) draining the pool and refilling just brings the iron back. You would have to find a source and truck in water without iron.

iron is my concern, but I was asking in general for all metals to be removed rather than sequestered.
it seems like it would save a lot of money on having to always dose a sequestering agent every couple of weeks.

so to totally remove the metals they can’t be precipitated stains on surfaces they would have to be sequestered first, right?

I’m assuming the previous owners didn’t want to spend the money on a new tcell so they were using tablets. I replaced the cell 8 years ago and only refilled with city water when needed due to evap.

but for 8 years now I’ve adhered to Tfp guidelines and never use pool store chemicals.

so if maintained properly is it safe to say you never have to drain and refill? You can go a lifetime without draining?
of course unless something major happens?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.