I think it's time to upgrade...

Lo42

Apr 3, 2018
California
Hi everyone !
My 18.000 Gal + Spa is equipped with an old 2hp single speed Century Pump ( SK1202 - 230V), makes an awful amount of noise, inflates my energy bill, and isn't that great at moving water around.
All my plumbing is 2 Inch, my DE filter (DE4820) design flow rate of 96 GPM.
My local pool store confirmed me SCE renewed their $200 rebate on Variable speed pumps.
From what I read and was told; I should match my current pump HP, or event exceed it.
Here is what I have in mind : for a 3hp Pentair 11018
Or is a 1 1/5hp enough ? Pentair 342001
If you have any suggestion, I am all ears.

Thanks !

ps. Will probably plump the thing myself
ps2. Also probably going to get the amazon extended warranty as Pentair only covers 60 days for non pros installations.

Attachments

• sk1202.jpg
    sk1202.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 100
The Pentair 11018 would be a better fit if you are running spa jets off just the one main pump. I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty thing that pump has a very long track record and an extremely low failure rate. Pentair also has very good customer service.

Lo,

The IntelliFlo P/N 11018 is a great pump, but is an older model that does not have a rotatable control panel. This is not an issue for most people, but thought I would bring it up just in case.

The control panel is mounted so the you read it from the motor end of the pump. So unless you can read upside down, you need to be able to get to the back or side of your pump to use the panel.

Just something to keep in mind when you are installing the pump. Also... do yourself a great favor by using "pump unions" when you install the pump... They have an O-ring between the pump body and the union so that you do not have to rely on the threaded connections that almost always leak over time. They look like this... Custom Molded 21063-200-000-2PK Union Threaded 2 inch MPT x 2 inch Slip for IntelliFlo, 2 Pack You can get them other places, I just like these pics.

You can't go too big with a VS pump as you only use the HP you need, not what the pump is rated for...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I am partial to the Pentair 013004 which includes the unions, and the keypad that you can rotate. I (personally) don't like the whisperflo design, in that, the pump sits right on the deck preventing you from being able to tell exactly where the pump is leaking from (if it begins to leak). The Pentair/Sta-Rite design sits a bit off the deck with a clear view under the pump seal and seal plate area. And also, i find that the pump is easier to take apart and assemble, but that's just me.

I am partial to the Pentair 013004 which includes the unions, and the keypad that you can rotate. I (personally) don't like the whisperflo design, in that, the pump sits right on the deck preventing you from being able to tell exactly where the pump is leaking from (if it begins to leak). The Pentair/Sta-Rite design sits a bit off the deck with a clear view under the pump seal and seal plate area. And also, i find that the pump is easier to take apart and assemble, but that's just me.

PC,

That is very interesting... I am not at all familiar with the Sta-Rite pumps, so just curious... Is their use a regional kind of thing or ??? I bet if I looked at a 100 different pools here in Texas I would not find many, or maybe any, Sta-Rite pumps... If I looked around your area would I find the opposite? Is this a hold over from before Pentair bought out Sta-Rite?

I understand your comments, especially coming from a maintenance prospective, but when I look at the Sta-Rite pumps, all I see is "old" style, while the Pentair pump looks more modern.. Do you see any difference in lifespan?

What is your take on who buys Sta-Rite and why?

Thanks for posting an interesting option...

Jim R.

The Pentair 11018 would be a better fit if you are running spa jets off just the one main pump. I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty thing that pump has a very long track record and an extremely low failure rate. Pentair also has very good customer service.

I run the spa on a separate 2hp ( similarly old pump ) with air inlet.

I always wondered if I get the 3HP if it would be a good idea add some valves and connect the 2 pipe systems ( pool and spa )

Lo,

The control panel is mounted so the you read it from the motor end of the pump. So unless you can read upside down, you need to be able to get to the back or side of your pump to use the panel.

Just something to keep in mind when you are installing the pump. Also... do yourself a great favor by using "pump unions" when you install the pump... They have an O-ring between the pump body and the union so that you do not have to rely on the threaded connections that almost always leak over time. They look like this... Custom Molded 21063-200-000-2PK Union Threaded 2 inch MPT x 2 inch Slip for IntelliFlo, 2 Pack You can get them other places, I just like these pics.
Jim R.

I have room to go around, but thanks for pointing it out.
Thank you for suggesting those unions it sure will make the job easier.
I was also thinking of adding a flowvis right before the pump to monitor gpm precisely and act a check valve.

I'm sure the single main pump could do either the pool or the spa individually but its questionable if it could do both at the same time. I also don't know how your plumbing is set up or if you have automation to control the pool modes which would also need to be addressed if you were going to the single pump.

With the rebate you are getting on the pump its a pretty strong argument to go with the Intelliflo over the superflo VS. This is especially true if you ever plan to automate the pool down the road. The superflo doesn't integrate into automation easily.

I was also thinking of adding a flowvis right before the pump to monitor gpm precisely and act a check valve.

Lo,

Knowing the precise GPM is something that almost no one really needs to know... And check valves before the pump are really not needed... But if you want one because it is "cool" ... go for it.. :p

Jim R.

Automation is not so much a selling point to me.
I'm mostly looking at efficiency and noise reduction.
But I have the feeling a 3HP will run better at half the speed rather than a 1 1/2HP at full speed.... maybe I'm wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Lo,

Knowing the precise GPM is something that almost no one really needs to know... And check valves before the pump are really not needed... But if you want one because it is "cool" ... go for it.. :p

Jim R.

:p
Am I worrying to much that I might put too much stress on the GE filter with a 3 HP ?

The bottom line is, for circulating the water pool ( excluding the spa) is the 1 1/2 HP going to do as good of a job as my current single speed 2 HP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You will never need the full speed of either the superflo or intelliflo pumps for simply circulating pool water. When running at speeds between 1100-1400 rpm which is what most people run their VS pumps at for circulation both pumps use almost exactly the same amount of electricity. Full disclosure yes the intelliflo use less power at those speeds but in real world it amounts to 10-20 watts difference.

The superflo is plenty of pump to simply circulate your pool and do it without using a lot of electricity. The intelliflo is also plenty of pump for your pool and in a pinch plenty of pump for your spa and you will still save a ton on electricity to run your spa because you will never need full speed on the pump to do so.

Lo,

If you are worried about too much flow, just don't run the pump at full speed.. I never do.. And.. you can set a max speed if you want so that the pump can never run faster than you want..

Jim R.

Good points, thanks
Did some measurement, and the configuration of the plumbing would make it hard to plumb the spa on the same system.
For circulating and filtration purposes, I guess the 1 1/2 Hp would be up to the task and probably be better than the current 2hp.
Thank you guys for your inputs !

The size of my plumbing made the decision for me, it's actually 1 1/2 inch PVC, and return pipe is 1 1/2" copper ... I guess the SuperFlo is more designed for this kind of system.
IntelliFlo would require a 2 -> 1 1/2 inch adapter which defies the purpose of this more powerful pump.

I understand your comments, especially coming from a maintenance prospective, but when I look at the Sta-Rite pumps, all I see is "old" style, while the Pentair pump looks more modern..
The Whisperflow pump, Originally a Pac Fab product, before Pentair bought them out, is actually a really old pump design. In fact, i wouldn't be surprised if it were older than the 1st gen Sta-Rite Maxi series design. Sta-Rite, also a Pentair Hors d'oeuvre, was, i believe, well into its 3 generation of the Maxi series (Maxi-Pro) by the time they were acquired. I can't remember if they had the VS motor before or after they were bought, but it was close. I didn't bother to document all this stuff, im going from memory... so i could be wrong.
PC,
That is very interesting... I am not at all familiar with the Sta-Rite pumps, so just curious... Is their use a regional kind of thing or ???
Not that i am aware of. They, Pentair that is, is based out of, well, everywhere! You can get their products anywhere. But if you look in a Pentair catalog, you'll notice that the Sta-Rite line is usually towards the back of each section. Maybe because the Sta-Rite products don't readily say Pentair on them.
I bet if I looked at a 100 different pools here in Texas I would not find many, or maybe any, Sta-Rite pumps... If I looked around your area would I find the opposite?
I do see more Sta-Rite than Whisperflow, but i don't think it is as lopsided here as it is in your area.
Is this a hold over from before Pentair bought out Sta-Rite?
See what "my take" is below.

Do you see any difference in lifespan?
Not really, i believe they are both a type of fibrous thermoplastic, so most of them will still be here long after we are both gone.
What is your take on who buys Sta-Rite and why?
We were a Sta-Rite dealer at the time of the acquisition, and that's really all we sell in terms of pumps, filters, and heaters, unless the customers have a preference otherwise (Raypak). Most of our customers just want to go swimming...NOW! So they trust us to sell them the worry free products that have kept us in business the last 55 +/- years.

Thanks for all your inputs, unlike what I said in my last post, I dug around the pipes to figure out the copper return line is actually connected to 2 inch PVC line below ground level ( I suspected that ).
So I went with the Intelliflow keeping in mind the future upgrades I could do with the plumbing.
Lesson: Go bigger ;)

Lo,

I have two pools that both have 1.5" plumbing... Both pools have had 3 HP IntelliFlo pumps which have been running for about 5 years. They both work great and the plumbing size has made no obvious difference in their operation.

Go big or go Home!!! :p

Jim R.

I have room to go around, but thanks for pointing it out.
Thank you for suggesting those unions it sure will make the job easier.

Ive been told that you should always put the check valve after the pump and not before it or you can create an entrapment situation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.